Mounting TO-204

Regected

Joined May 24, 2009
What is the easiest way too mount and connect a TO-204 package? Is there a PCB/heat sink package on the market to make this simple? Also, could i just mount it to a heat sink with the pins sticking up, away from the heat sink?

The device I'm trying to use is a 2n3055. The driving circuit is mounted on a buss board with wire leads for the 2n3055.

Also, does anyone know the difference between the TO-204 package and the TO-3 package? I have parts from three difference manufacturers that appear to be physically the same, but are listed as different packages.

Last edited:

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Those used to be TO-3 packages. Try a Wakefield 680-125A or 641-A. The sinks have holes for the mounting screws plus the base and emitter leads. You can also find insulating pads so the heat sink isn't at case potential.

Regected

Joined May 24, 2009
Thanks for the help. Think I'll just modify an old PII heat sink to fit all 3 transistors onto one location. Nothing to buy and would look cool.

Any advice on the easiest way to solder to the leads?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Not much magic involved - you wrap a bit of bare wire around the B - E leads and solder. It's nice to crimp a ring terminal to the collector wire and capture it under one of the mounting screws.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
You can get TO-3 sockets too, many of the old TV's had the PSU and H-out transistors on TO-3 sockets, likewise some old PSU's. I've got a nice little box of TO-3 mounting stuff here collected over 30 years.