Mounting LCD displays?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I am trying to come up with ways to mount / connect LCD displays like the one pictured in my projects.

What I have been doing is to make a small daughter board with a 2 row 16 and single row 16 pin header.

This takes extra work making the LCD PCB and takes up a bit extra room.

One thought I had was to just connect the LCD header right to my main PCB but the problem with that is that the LCD faces the front panel so I would have mounting screws for the PCB on my front panel. Plus there is the issue of lining two boards up for mounting as opposed to tow separate boards.

Any tips on tackling this problem?

Attachments

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
cut a hole in the PCB and mount the LCD "backwards".. shining through the hole in the PCB.

That will allow for close to flush mounting to the PCB and/or case.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
cut a hole in the PCB and mount the LCD "backwards".. shining through the hole in the PCB.

That will allow for close to flush mounting to the PCB and/or case.

Are you talking about my LCD "daughter" / connector board? If so, if I understand correctly. won't it be sandwiched between the LCD and my front panel?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I am talking about forgoing the daughter board.

Ill show you what gave me the idea.
Assuming you need to dig up a link or a pic. Looking forward to it.

But it sounds like I would still have issues with screws on my front panel (aside from the LCD screws) or have to carefully line up the LCD hole with the PCB mounted to the back of the case?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Either it is my connection or youtube really sucks. I always have a slow response with the video being chopped up into segments.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
There are usually 4 holes on the outer border of LCD displays. Cut the square hole for the LCD to fit through, then drill/tap front to hold screws for the display. If you aren't in a material you can drill or tap, glue 4 nuts down and use those. They will also act as spacers/standoffs so the front of the LCD is flush with the front of the container.

When the LCD is screwed to the front of the container, a ribbon cable connects it to the board.

The other option is simply the 2x16 header, and choosing a case so the height the header is held off the board keeps the LCD in the window that was cut out of the enclosure for the LCD. For the side not supported by pins, I've seen everything from springs to foam stuffed in to keep the LCD parallel to the board it was attached to.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
Go to a plastics wholesaler and hit up their scrap bin for an appropriate color to make a bezel out of, then you can just mount it behind that.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Go to a plastics wholesaler and hit up their scrap bin for an appropriate color to make a bezel out of, then you can just mount it behind that.
So you are suggesting to actually mount the display on the outside of the case and put a bezel around it?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
That is definitely a possibility, and is often done.
The problem there is I would need some kind if insulator between the LCD and the metal case. But should be able to figure something out there.

I think my current project will allow mounting inside the case. I misjudged a bit on the size of the case. I think it will work but it will be close.

But it is nice to have options.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
So you are suggesting to actually mount the display on the outside of the case and put a bezel around it?
Not unless you want to get real creative. Sometimes it's far easier to just mount a window on your box and put the display behind the thin piece of Lexan, Plexiglas or whatever.

It takes a bit of searching to find one, but once you've found a "user friendly" plastics supplier or a company that builds a ton of stuff out of it you absolutely can't beat 50 cents a lb for quality materials - I've even found pieces of a large enough size to replace some PC case side covers in scrap bins for $1 in the light bronze smoke tint I wanted.

When you do find one stock up since it requires virtually no storage space and if they're close hit them up whenever you're in the area as you never know what you'll find.

You will need to learn how to cut/saw/drill plastic but you'll have plenty to practice on.

If you aren't budget limited and they have it get a can of Weld-On #4 cement while you're there, you can fuse plastic together with it and rarely even see a seam line if you're careful with it. As with anything practice make perfect and that the Weld-On stuff (3, 4, 16 etc) are true plastic welding solvents, not simple glue.