Mounting IC pefered ????

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
How do you guys mount your IC? ??? I like soldering them but it's not good when testing or building prototype boards .. I was thinking about using IC sockets but they are not cheap and was thinking about picking up IC breakaway socket rails but I wanted to see what you guys use....

Thanks
Jason SR

k7elp60

Joined Nov 4, 2008
I am not sure if you are talking about 8pin thru 18 pin .300 spacing pins, or 24 thru 48 pin 0.6 spacing. All of those sizes I use sockets generally the dual wipe like mouser #517-4816-3000-cp.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Breakaway strips can work but real sockets are always best. You can find then on Ebay for as little as 20 cents a piece for 5 and free shipping. Probably much less if you buy some quantity.

Also, I make 14 dip from 16 pins with a belt sander.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
I am not sure if you are talking about 8pin thru 18 pin .300 spacing pins, or 24 thru 48 pin 0.6 spacing. All of those sizes I use sockets generally the dual wipe like mouser #517-4816-3000-cp.
I am talking about using these just like the old school socket

Instead of these

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
I always use sockets and usually buy them cheap in bulk or in sticks.

I still use sockets even when most of my micro projects use and ICSP connector.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
How do you guys mount your IC? ??? I like soldering them but it's not good when testing or building prototype boards .. I was thinking about using IC sockets but they are not cheap and was thinking about picking up IC breakaway socket rails but I wanted to see what you guys use....

Thanks
Jason SR
If a jobs worth doing, its worth doing well.

Whether you use breakaway strips or standard sizes of IC socket, you might as well go for the best and use the turned pin type - the cheapo sockets with leaf type contacts tend to dig into the pin - at best the chip can be a struggle to pry out of the socket, at worse the dug in contact won't let go and gets ripped out of the header!

Decent sockets are only expensive if you buy from rip-off merchants like Maplin, If you buy a reasonable quantity (minimum order charge!) from the likes of Farnell, the prices aren't that bad.

Bear in mind that RF & very low impedance circuits usually don't get on well with any kind of socket.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
I'm curious how modern computers handle this, most cpus use a ZIF socket and pci cards just kinda slip in.
Can you imagine trying to pry that many pins out of a regular (non ZIF) socket!

Originally; PCB edge connectors were gold plated, its a good conductor and very smooth - practically self lubricating, so very little insertion wear. I've heard that some manufacturers have been doing it on the cheap by using phosphor-bronze instead.

Its fortunately rare, but some PCB edge connector receptacles are badly designed so the contacts dig into the pcb contact fingers so the contact leaves rip out when you pull the board out!

matty204359

Joined Apr 6, 2011
Can you imagine trying to pry that many pins out of a regular (non ZIF) socket!
actually I dont have to imagine , I remember pulling a 20 MHz 386 to replace it with a 25 MHz 386.

i don't know if other 386 motherboards had zif sockets but my mother board didn't. the old 20 MHz 386 ic was not recoverable.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
... some PCB edge connector receptacles are badly designed so the contacts dig into the pcb contact fingers so the contact leaves rip out when you pull the board out!
From the manufacturer's point of view, the design is good. The consumer must purchase a new card if the original is removed -or- if it is unlikely the original is ever removed, then why waste money on gold plating!