motorcycle helmet project help me please

Cisco

Joined Jan 3, 2015
I hooked up 4 leds on my helmet and I want to put 4 more plus a fan, but idk how to add the fan to the same circuit. It says 12v 0.08A on it. I kno next to nothing about what im doing and want to turn the fan on and off. PLEASE HELP. Do i need to run the fan on a seprate power supply? I want to have enough power for long rides. What kind of battery, resistors and components do i need? Im doing my research but im not really understanding

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Firstly why do you need leds and a fan on a motorcycle helmet?, no you dont need a separate supply just use the same 12v supply with a separate switch.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I hooked up 4 leds on my helmet and I want to put 4 more plus a fan, but idk how to add the fan to the same circuit. It says 12v 0.08A on it. I kno next to nothing about what im doing and want to turn the fan on and off. PLEASE HELP. Do i need to run the fan on a seprate power supply? I want to have enough power for long rides. What kind of battery, resistors and components do i need? Im doing my research but im not really understanding
If you connect the fan to 12 volts, the fan will draw 0.08 amps. No need for anything else. You might want to add a switch between the battery (+) and fan (+)(red connection).

Make sure it is legal to add lights to a helmet in your area if used on public roads.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Unless these are high power LEDs I question the need for a fan. What's wrong with the natural airflow when you're riding?
If they are high power LEDs I'd be concerned about other drivers' safety, since the LED beams would be dancing all over the place. Either way, would these be legal where you intend riding?

Cisco

Joined Jan 3, 2015
There are no restrictions on helmet lights in my state. I want the fan cuz I have a real cheap helmet that has horrible airflow. I want the lights so Im seen better and i think they look good. I could not get the fan and the lights on at the same time. And when i did it dimmed the lights very low. I want a switch for the fan and one for the lights. How can i get it all to work?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
I could not get the fan and the lights on at the same time. And when i did it dimmed the lights very low.
Can you post a link to the LED specification/datasheet, or at least tell us the LED forward voltage and current ratings?
BTW, how are you attaching all this kit to your helmet? Some fastening methods might weaken the helmet and be a safety hazard.

Last edited: