Motorcycle Directional Relay Problem

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Pakeman, Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pakeman

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 23, 2012
    Recently my son converted my incandescent (on my 1982 Yamaha Maxim 750) directional bulbs with LED's.

Here's where it gets "interesting."

With the original relay, the lights don't "blink" but I can manually "blink" them.

I purchased an LED relay, which is supposed to work. Inserted into the harness I get nothing. I made 3 separate wires and ran one from the + of relay to harness and one to harness (for switch). I then ran one from battery - (ground) to relay. With it wired that way it "blinks" the lights. The problem now is, when the switch is in the "off" position, the lights are off but you can still here the relay "tic-tic-tic."

I tried using resistors to see if that would stop it but the only thing that does is stop the lights from working when I switch it.

Any ideas? I am considering putting an on/off toggle in. That would shut off the "tic-tic-tic" but then I'd have to turn that switch on and off every time I need the directional!

Help!

2. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    I don't remember what exactly is inside those flasher units, but they are load dependent. That's why when one of your bulbs goes out, your lights flash really fast. So the LEDs are likely nil load compared to the old incandescents, which is why it won't flash. You mention a flasher "relay" that you've replaced - I wouldn't call the flasher unit that I think of, a relay, but i don't know much about bikes. So, if you've added a relay in somewhere, I have no idea how it's wired. I would suggest going back to the old incandescents. Not only do I legitimately think that's the best option, it's also the only option I'm allowed to present, as automotive topics are banned on this forum.

3. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    The owners of All About Circuits has elected not to host discussions of automotive electrical system modifications/enhancements due to safety concerns, the potential of legal ramifications and the possible circumvention of vehicle regulations at the state and federal level.

This thread is against the AAC forum rules, Chapter 6, as seen here:

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/l_tos.html

Automotive modifications of any kind are strictly forbidden. Therefore, this thread will be closed.

Please try to understand the reasons behind this action, and feel free to browse and use the forums.

You might find answers to your questions in one of these forums:

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/sh...ad.php?t=54400

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.