Motor Type Identification

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by howhurley, Feb 1, 2009.

1. howhurley

Thread Starter Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Hi, folks!

I have a question. I am developing an inverter board to run a little 5000 BTU air conditioning compressor. (out of a window A/C unit) My only problem is since it is all encapsulated, I don't know what type of motor it is. It has a cap, and that's about all I know. Would it be safe to expect that it would be a split type? I don't think it would be a variable reluctance or any switched type because I don't hear any switches or anything like that. Plus the torque req is too high. Any tests I can do to verify?

In addition, I am trying to develop an ac drive for this motor, and was thinking of doing a multiple level modified sine. That would be better than pwm, right? Anyway I seem to know enough to get into trouble. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    What is wrong with your electricity for you to use an inverter?
    A battery must be huge to power an air conditioner for long.
    Why not fix the intermittent electricity instead?

3. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    The compressor motor is an AC capacitor run type. You can't use PWM with AC motors.

4. howhurley

Thread Starter Member

Feb 1, 2009
    It is a mobile application, and batteries are involved. It's one of those situations where to save money and time, I dived into something that is taking MORE money and time. But it is an approx 4.5 A @ 117 vac air conditioner, but I am only using the compressor and coils, not the fan or other stuff.

Thanks for your response.

5. howhurley

Thread Starter Member

Feb 1, 2009
    So you think it's a PSC type? Is there a way I can ohm it out and verify it?

Thanks for your help.

6. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    If there is an ID plate on the compressor, then you should be able to search on the manufacturer and get good information.

7. howhurley

Thread Starter Member

Feb 1, 2009
    I just found it. It was hidden before, and of course you're correct.

Thanks.