motor speed controller with a musfet

Status
Not open for further replies.

domingojordan

Joined Aug 11, 2014
I used the mc2100 motor controller with a 120VAC 12A 1400W brush motor and works fine and smooth. This controller circuit was designed for the treadmill industry and does not fit my needs 100% and I will like to modify it.
I want to implement what this controller does by PWM its mosfet with an arduino...
At the beginning, I test running the motor with the rectify and filter AC but the motor does not run happy. It gets noise and very hot instantly. I tested it with the controller and it works really well. I concluded that somehow the controller limits the voltage and manage the current that the mosfet provides to the motor. This is where i need help to figure out how can i do the voltage limiting and the managing of the current with an arduino.
The full circuit schematic is here: http://www.mikeamick.com/misc/MC2100_rev_engrd.pdf
The strip out version is this: http://oi61.tinypic.com/e710sh.jpg

I tested the stripped out version and it works with a low PWM frequency but it makes some noise. When the frequency is increased it snap the mosfet and the mosfet gets damage and starts to conduct 100% and the motor stars to run fast and gets really hot instantly.

Last edited:

domingojordan

Joined Aug 11, 2014
What PWM frequency are you using, I have not found the need to go above 4 to 5Khz based on the Microchip recommendation.
Max.
The instruction analogWrite in the arduino uses a frequency of 480 hz i belive.

Do you have the indicated diode connected across the motor?
Yes, you can check the the striped out schematic, it shows the dio.

Yes, you can check the the striped out schematic, it shows the diode.

Last edited by a moderator:

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
The mos fet is not a logic level fet. It is not fully on with the 5 volts from the logic. Use the 10 volt zener like the whole circuit.
Ooops that may not work without a level shift from the 5 volt micro.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.