Motor question

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by mklehnerfec, Aug 31, 2010.

1. mklehnerfec

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 25, 2008
    I am doing a project that involves a door opener. I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a commercial opener, so I had an idea for a cheaper (?) alternative. Unfortunately I don't really know anything about motors... Here is a picture of the idea:
    [​IMG]

My motor vocabulary is pretty bad, but basically I want the thing on the motor that spins (shaft?) to rotate an arm to open a really small door (used for demonstration purposes at school) that weighs maybe 10-15 pounds. What kind of motor would I need for that?

2. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
    First of all you'd probably want a gearmotor - one that already has internal RPM reduction incorporated into it. This would ensure the drawer doesn't go flying in and out at 1,000 mph and also has the advantage of amplifying the torque.

Surplus place like http://www.goldmine-elec.com usually have a fair selection of these motors as do any of the websites that cater to people who like to build robots.

3. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    You're probably looking for what is commonly called a "linear actuator".

Sometimes you can find these at various surplus vendors pretty inexpensively.

Look for one that will work in a low voltage DC range; somewhere between 6v and 24v.