motor query

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by elltell, Jan 4, 2011.

1. elltell

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 4, 2011
    I have just put 2 new batteries on my scooter and after using it twice I find it is running out of power.
    It is 24v, and has a diode indicator which shows the state of charge 2xgreen one amber and two red.
    all show lights at the start and as the distance travelled increases the lights start going out.
    Could this be the motors brushes wearing down ?
    I do not wish to commit to a repairer yet as I would be able to change the brushes myself, my disability is only walking any distance.
    If anyone can help I would be obliged.
    elltell

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    It is possible that brushes are wearing down, but we can't see your scooter better than you can. You have to look.

3. CDRIVE

Jul 1, 2008
    If you know what current this motor typically draws, and you can get your hands on an Ammeter, you can measure the draw to see if it's excessive. Is it getting overly hot?

4. edgetrigger

Dec 19, 2010
    brush, diodes, connections, shunting many causes for an alternator to give up. btw why do you need two batteries most of the scooter uses only one.

May i know the what scooter is yours? brand ? model ? make? country of origin?

5. elltell

Jan 4, 2011
    1 The question is "could worn brushes cause the drain on the batteries".
    2 There is no alternator.
    3 It is used for golf, and was made for golf[ manufacturer ceased ]
    4 Have no Ammeter sorry.

6. elltell

Jan 4, 2011
    1 there is no alternator it is a 24v x4 wheel golf buggy driven by two motors, manufacturer now defunct.
    2 Do not have Ammeter.
    3 The question asked was "could worn brushes cause the power drain"

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Actually, driving it could cause a power drain. The usual use of a golf cart is to charge the batteries, drive it while the batteries get drained, charge the batteries.

Are you believing the batteries are draining too quickly? How quickly is it? How quickly was it a year ago? Give us some clues

8. elltell

Jan 4, 2011
    Sorry I replied to you all on my original question page.:mad:

Being new to the forum I thought I had to answer on my original question page.:D

1 edgetrigger there is no alternator.

2 cdrive I have no Ammeter.

3 #12 The question asked was " can worn brushes cause the power drain on the batteries?

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I already answered the question. Why don't you bother to look and see if they are worn?

10. edgetrigger

Dec 19, 2010
    So you have a battery operated scooter. In this case motor brush wont drain the battery, you will only have loss of torque if the brush wears out.

You have to check the charger circuit.

11. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    Your first mistake was to assume that the NEW batteries you installed are GOOD.

You have no way of knowing if they are good, and as of this moment, including the updates you have given on this post, the batteries would be my number one suspect.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I was thinking that bad brushes in one motor would make the other motor would draw excessive current trying to do the job alone, and thus be less efficient, but elltell won't say if the batteries are lacking 10% of the performance compared to what he's used to or 50%...or 90%.

I'm a repairman. I think in terms of tracking the problem down. With so little information, it's all hypothetical...as compared to pragmatic. I will now leave it to the people who work better in the hypothetical realm.

13. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    You mean you don't just pull an answer out of the same 'grouping' the question came from?

(God, I'm doomed. I'm now being 'PC' to a group of people who I will never meet)

:)

14. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    And I'm struck by a situation I've encountered before.

Does the OP know the difference in a 6 volt and a 12 volt battery? Even 8 volt batteries were used in some carts.

They all hook up the same ya know!

:)

15. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    When you replaced the batteries did you clean any corrosion of off of the cables?
    putting in new batteries with corroded cables would effect the performance of the motors.

16. elltell

Jan 4, 2011
    You appear to have answered my question.
    If worn brushes lead to loss of torque then it means that the buggy will not travel the same distance before the battery runs low.
    This then makes it look as if the batteries are not charging fully.
    Now is the time to start looking at the brushes and commutators for answers, with reason.

17. CDRIVE

Jul 1, 2008
    Here's my two cents on the subject but I'll preface this with "I could be wrong!". I've always believed that, over time, carbon deposits from the brushes can embed themselves between the spaces on the commutator. If this is true I can envision current paths through windings when there should be none. Thus causing an increase in current through parallel routs and also causing magnetic fields to fight each other. If true, replacing brushes will do little. Motor shops are equipped with a dedicated Lathe like machine to turn the commutator like new, minus a few thousandths of an inch. In the process all the embedded crap will be removed in too!

Now lets see what kind of a hornets nest I can stir up with this.:D
    Remember,... I did say "I could be wrong." ;)

18. elltell

Jan 4, 2011
    I do not strip the motor down to clean the commutator.

There are always air holes in line with the commutators, and if a strip of emery is threaded through the holes at 180 deg the rotor is then turned
    whilst the emery is pulled tight and this polishes the carbon deposit off.
    The brushes may be removed for this operation.

Thank you all for your input.

Elltello.

First time on this forum, and I find you all very helpful, hope I can help others in future.

19. CDRIVE

Jul 1, 2008
    Nein, Nein, Nein! 'Machine Shop' is Among my other interests, and what you're describing is considered 'verboten'! Can you surmise why?