motor/generator question

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by eric357, Jan 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eric357

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 9, 2015
    Ok, hello to all, so a little background on my project, i am attempting to make a self powering generator. im working on a small scale though. i'm using a 9vdc-18vdc motor as my drive motor and my generator is out of an old R/C truck, would say 7.5vdc to maybe 9vdc. my current set up i am powering the drive motor with a 12v 12Ah battery. the output from the generator is aprx. 16vdc and 33-34vac. no load. i made a full wave rectifying bridge with 4 one amp rec.diodes and the output power was smoothed out pretty nice from the generator. i then put a 10 ohm 1/8watt resister for a load on the generator ( for about 30 sec) and checked DC voltage and DC amperes.. held steady at 6vdc @ 1.2a.. my problem is that im a hands on learner and know absolutely nothing about circuits, and im trying to figure out how to adjust the power to the motor based on the load of the generator? my goal in the end is to have enough power being produced by the generator to run the motor.

2. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    Welcome,

There was a short time in my life when I thought this might work, but then I learned to love the Laws of Thermodynamics.

Some light reading for you

3. eric357

Jan 9, 2015
    right, but what if i could have the output of the generator feeding an inverter or converter, something to boost the output. im not going for perpetual motion, i have a main power source that im running the drive motor from and with the right gearing the generator should put out more power than what the motor is consuming. at least in theory anyway lol... right now i am changing the generator to the same type of motor as the drive motor.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  4. BillB3857

Feb 28, 2009
    Power out = Power in X efficiency. How does that fit into your concept? What efficiency value do you have for each of your conversions? Remember that any heat radiated to air is lost energy for your system.

5. t_n_k

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 6, 2009
    Most likely this thread will be locked by a moderator. Anything related to perpetual motion, over-unity, etc, is a banned topic.

6. eric357

Jan 9, 2015
    surely i hope not, I AM NOT trying to make Anything related to perpetual motion, over-unity, etc because is just crazy for sure.

7. eric357

Jan 9, 2015
    i had to change the generator to a bigger one, the small one was starting to get real hot after a minute under load, so if im understanding your question the efficiency is horrible.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    That is the definition of perpetual motion.

9. eric357

Jan 9, 2015
    i will post some more technical numbers later on with the new motor/generator set-up. and pictures for a better visual on my concept.

10. t_n_k

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 6, 2009
    OK - good news. Perhaps you might restate exactly what you are hoping to achieve. A drawing of your concept would certainly help clarify the problem.

11. eric357

Jan 9, 2015
    which would mean that if i took my battery power away the motor/generator will keep running all by itself..... and that is simply not the case. the battery is crucial to my project, without it, it doesn't work at all.

12. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    What is the exact nature of the generator to output 16vdc AND 33-34vac?
    There are basically two types of motors used in RC, DC brushed and 3 phase AC, which is yours ?
    If 3ph then you need a 6 diode bridge.
    Max.

13. eric357

Jan 9, 2015
    these numbers are from a small dc motor. i dont know the specs because i just pulled it from a wal-mart R/C toy truck.

14. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    How many leads coming off the motor? A pic of it would help.
    Max.

15. eric357

Jan 9, 2015
    so let me restate my goal, basically i want to maximize usable power output while minimizing motor power consumption

16. eric357

Jan 9, 2015
    just 2 i will get some pics together soon

17. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    Mods please don't close this thread I'm expecting it to be highly educational, or at least darn funny.:D

#12 and shortbus like this.
  18. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Ok, let's get this picture straight.
    1. You have a battery powering a motor.
    2. The motor drives a generator.
    3. The generator provides power to the motor.
    What is the point of steps #2 and #3 above?

Maximum efficiency is achieved in step #1.
    Step #2 and #3 will result in loss of energy.

Fairly soon this thread will be closed.

Andreas likes this.
  19. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    No further posts in two days. This thread is now closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.