Motor control w/ Sprecher+Schuh Contactors - Advice needed

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Shulist, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Shulist

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Objective of the Project: I am in the process of re-purposing an AC winch (used previously in a home elevator) to use it to haul up my boat into a boathouse. It will run on 120VAC as that is all that is available and that is what the original motor was set up to use. Id like to keep it very simple and if possible reuse all the stuff I have obtained.

What Equipment I have:
    i) Leeson Motor (Cat 110086.00) and managed to get the wiring diagram
    ii) Reducing gearbox with cable drum (mechanical so I can sort that out)
    iii) Control box with
    a) One (1) 120 VAC/24v DC transformer (Fused at 2 AMPS)
    b) Three (3) Sprecher+Schuh contactors (Model CA7-16-01) [Normally Closed]
    c) Two (2) Sprecher-Schuh Side Mount Auxillary contactors (Model CA7-PA-20) [Normally Open]
    d) One (1) Onron H3G timer
    iv) One (1) handheld remote control unit (Power On, Up, Down)

The existing control box is a bowl of spaghetti (though quite tidy) primarily due to the fact that this was previously used to haul human cargo and I suspect the majority of the wiring was due to sensors, limit switches and other safety related features (all of which are not in my possession). I am guessing that the Normally Open contactors were used to reset the power to the motor in the event of a power outage. The contactors are hand marked Power, UP, Down.

I have searched for longer than I care to admit for wiring diagrams of the SS CA7-16-01 to no avail. There is a ton of documentation but nothing to show me how to wire them. This is my first time working with contactors so I am trying to learn what I can. I need to simply understand what each terminal on the device does and how to wire inbound DC and the outbound AC.

So my questions are:

1) Can someone provide a link to the wiring diagram of the Sprecher-Schuh contactors (Model CA7-16-01)?
    2) If not 1) above then some help from personal experience would be appreciated
    3) Given this motor will have to operate in a Forward/Reverse mode, is a delay required between modes of operation? Is that what the timer might have been used for?
    4) I think I need some sort of interlock between Forward and Reverse so that when pressing the control buttons you cannot operate both at the same time - will any of these contactors allow for that?

Any advice or guidance would be most appreciated.

2. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
  3. Shulist

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Max, I had looked at those wiring diagrams but I do not see how they apply to the specific contactor that I have. Have you a suggestion as to which one correlates to the actual contactor I have? I also found that it was claimed that the ALLEN-BRADLEY 100-C16D01 (it's 16 AMP vs the 10 AMP that the S+S is) is similar but also could not find any wiring for that one.
    I have not looked at the motor too closely but I believe it to be reversed using AC (via a dc powered contactor) and just changing configuration of the motor leads. To my knowledge there is no mechanical brake but as I have not powered the motor I cannot confirm the existence of an electric brake. Nothing is obvious from a visual inspection. The wiring diagram for the motor is included in my attachment.

4. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    I misread it appears to be a dual rpm 1ph AC split phase motor.
    The 24v transformer is most likely for the control circuit, if so the contactors will have 24vac coils.?
    Contactors in and of themselves are simple devices, N.O. and/or N.C. plus maybe aux contacts for interlocking, I will look through the Sneider PDF to see anything is close.
    Max.