Motor advice please

beth88

Joined May 28, 2009
Hi.

Im working on a project at the moment that requires a lightweight alluminium sheet on a small drawer runner approx 200gms in weight to be pushed out and pulled back in via a motor running with a rack and pinion and remote control, (Same action as a drawer)

I also need it to stop at a pre determined distance so that the motor doesn't keep running when the drawer runners are extended and closed. The motor needs to be as small as possible and have a slow running speed. If anyone can point out a particular motor that might be suitable that would be great.

Thanks

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Sounds a bit like a CD drive drawer? Maybe you could adapt a gearmotor and rack/pinion out of an old CD drive or DVD drive? They usually have limit switches too.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Another solution would be to employ a Linear Actuator. It is a bit pricey but it is simple and most such actuators come with built in adjustable microswitch detectors for setting the travel limits.

hgmjr

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Electronic Goldmine has some gear-head DC motors, like G15492 @ $ 12, .2 in dia shaft.; Gears & timing belt, G15973, $ 5.95, 2 gears & timing belt. Belt cut, makes a good rack, sugest attaching with contact cement.One problem ,willneed a bushing to match gear to motor. Not sure what type of remote control that you need; long cable, IR, RF, etc.

Hi.

Im working on a project at the moment that requires a lightweight alluminium sheet on a small drawer runner approx 200gms in weight to be pushed out and pulled back in via a motor running with a rack and pinion and remote control, (Same action as a drawer)

I also need it to stop at a pre determined distance so that the motor doesn't keep running when the drawer runners are extended and closed. The motor needs to be as small as possible and have a slow running speed. If anyone can point out a particular motor that might be suitable that would be great.

Thanks
Beth88, you have gotten some good answers so far, and here is another one which I hope you will find useful. Model airplane servos which are designed specifically for lowering landing gear employ a rack-and-pinion gear configuration, and such servos are available in a wide range of sizes. There also is a circuit which is available on the internet which will enable you to operate such a servo independently of any radio-control receiver.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
I modified this drawing from an earlier one for another thread, but it might work to control the "drawer". When push button,OUT, is pressed, RY is energised via diode,motir starts via other diode , causing limit SW C-D to close, allowing motor to continue. When limit SW A-B opens at full extention, motor stops.As NC pushbutton IN is pressed, Ry is un-latched, motor reverses and drawer closes untill closed limit SW C-D opens. At least that is the way it's suposer to work.

Attachments

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I have never seen a model aircraft servo that used rack and pinion. Landing gear servos which which I am familiar (mostly Hitec) simply go to preset positions once "triggered." That is, their movement is not proportional to stick movement.

EMS makes an add-on to convert servos to linear motion ("EMS Linear Servo Conversion Kit"). One simply replaces the gear case of a standard servo (Futaba S148) with its device. It is not rack and pinion, but rather a flexible strap wraps and unwraps around the pinion. The servo arm attached to the other end is constrained in a groove and gives rectilinear movement.

At this point, it would be nice to hear from Beth88 about whether s/he wants to go with a servo approach or a motor with limit switches or other type of end-travel detectors. A third choice would be a stepper motor.

John

I have never seen a model aircraft servo that used rack and pinion. Landing gear servos which which I am familiar (mostly Hitec) simply go to preset positions once "triggered." That is, their movement is not proportional to stick movement.

EMS makes an add-on to convert servos to linear motion ("EMS Linear Servo Conversion Kit"). One simply replaces the gear case of a standard servo (Futaba S148) with its device. It is not rack and pinion, but rather a flexible strap wraps and unwraps around the pinion. The servo arm attached to the other end is constrained in a groove and gives rectilinear movement.

At this point, it would be nice to hear from Beth88 about whether s/he wants to go with a servo approach or a motor with limit switches or other type of end-travel detectors. A third choice would be a stepper motor.

John
Sorry about that. My memory must be fading.