motor activates after main power is cut

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Omarrey, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Omarrey

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Hey guys I searched and i don't think i found anything that covers exactly what i need so here goes.

I have a set of power folding mirrors in my car they are currently set up to work with the included switch. what i would like to do is bypass the switch and have the mirrors open when the car is started and closes when the power is cut/ keys are removed.

I found the time delay circuit which covers my first problem of supplying power after my key is removed from my ignition for a few seconds.

My issue is I need to know how to activate/ close the mirrors after the power is cut.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Jasonb61

Jul 31, 2008
    I'm new here but that seems like it'd be easy using an automotive relay. Have it set on the ignition wire and when the power is turned off, it goes back to it's open position and can activate the mirrors... ya, that sounds confusing.. someone on here can probably help you better and give a diagram.

3. Omarrey

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 1, 2008
    thanks for the help know it has to be something like that i just don't know how to do it. can anyone help please?

4. Jasonb61

Jul 31, 2008
    I'll try to help more... Here is a diagram of how the relay looks when it's de-energized (no current passing through the coil)

[​IMG]

Here is how it appears when it's energized..

[​IMG]

What you want is to take your ignition wire and cut it and put the relay in on it on post 85 & 86.

Then I believe you can use 30 & 87a to activate the timer module. For better help, check out http://the12volt.com Here is their page for Relays: http://www.the12volt.com/relays/relays.asp

They also have a forum if you need additional help