Motion Sensor

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Genuis, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Genuis

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 25, 2009
    This is my first post here so excuse me if this is no an appropriate question. I'm looking for something small that senses acceleration in one direction. I'm thinking of an piezoelectric sensor (I don't know much about it, or anything about electronics), would this work?

2. JBmtk

Jun 29, 2009
    radioshack carries a parallax motion sensor...but this detects motion in all directions in a certain radius...maybe not what you're looking for though.

3. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    It is easier to throw excess data away that to find a specific part sometimes. The part is called an accelerometer, it was originally developed during the 1950's for the internal guidance for missiles, so they exist. Where, I don't know.

The Radio Shack part is an IR motion sensor, for things like home security.

How small do you want it, and what range of acceleration? A spring and weight (with appropriate sensing) would work. Matter of fact, a set of electronic scales pretty much fit the description.

4. Duane P Wetick

Apr 23, 2009
    There are such devices used in high tech shipping containers that detect, and hold a maximum acceleration figure. This is used mainly to show rough handling or dropping of the container for warranty concerns. See Snap Shock Plus sensor on Google.

Cheers, DPW [ Spent years making heaters out of op-amps]