Motion induced blindness

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Someone posted this on a bicycle forum that I frequent. Not sure if it belongs here or on the Science forum but either way it is very interesting.

It shows how motion can cause you brain to not see what is right in front of you and the importance of scanning the scene around you. Especially important in driving and piloting an airplane.

http://www.msf-usa.org/motion.html

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
That's a good optical illusion, works well for me.
If you stop the eyeball from moving it can't see a steady scene. Normally the eye is subconsciously flicking around.
I wonder if the spinning fixes the eye to the centre.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Just a cool trick of the eye. Your vision is set up to pinpoint movement so its playing off that and overloading your senses. That why the yellow dots dissapear so randomly.

RiJoRI

Joined Aug 15, 2007
It may go back to the fact that trees are less likely than tigers are to jump you! :D It also explains why predators learn to be "vewy quiet"* when waiting for their prey.

I've noticed this effect with my ears and nose:
Ears -- My brain filters out the ticking of my toaster oven's timer. Then I really need to focus on it to hear it.
Nose -- Many years ago I worked in a place that made popcorn. 400+ lbs. per day. We'd get truckers making deliveries, and they'd say, "Man! We could smell that popcorn from a mile away!" We'd look at each other, puzzled, and ask, "Whatch'all talking 'bout, bro? What popcorn smell?" Our brains had filtered out the smell.

--Rich

*for youse younguns: It's a quote from a Bugs Bunny cartoon. Elmer Fudd says, "Be vewy quiet! I'm hunting wabbit!"

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
No its actually the way your eye works. Your eyes are constantly scanning for movement and will automatically tune to the movement. Spinakers right they use it to show the effects of "tunnel vision" during driving. This is different then "tunnel vision" from lack of blood from fighter pilots and race car drivers. Cart tried to race at Texas motor speedway and had to call off the race because drivers were running 3-5 test laps, then coming in and not remembering laps 3,4,and 5.