motion capture for my 3d characters

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by MegaMan, Jul 15, 2010.

1. MegaMan

Thread Starter Member

Sep 25, 2009
    Hello

I need to buy 10 accelerometers to make a motion capture device and connect it to blender [www.blender.org] , to my characters ..

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

by the way , i'm studying Mechatronics Engineering , 3rd year ...
    familiar with Electronics , amplifiers and circuit I & 2 , Logic , ... and stuff

help choose the right accelerometers !!
    i'm going to use them with an Arduino .

my skype name is

dhia.eldeen.mahmoud

we can talk about 3d or electronics

thank you ......

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  2. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
  3. MegaMan

Thread Starter Member

Sep 25, 2009
  4. Bosparra

Feb 17, 2010
  5. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    it can be done if you have a good pencil tip soldering iron, and a steady hand.... or you can do what I did with this leadless package, I reflowed the solder using a hot air gun, I applied some solder to each pad, placed the IC on top, heated the board from the bottom with the hot air gun until the solder flowed under the IC...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

B. Morse

6. MegaMan

Thread Starter Member

Sep 25, 2009
    but i can see others similar with half the price .

are there any youtubes of this method ? <searching>

7. MegaMan

Thread Starter Member

Sep 25, 2009
    an Engineer told me that it is not possible to catch XYZ from an accelerometer!
    i need an initial conditions and stuff, how far is this precise?
    also told on IRC "free node" that i need magnetometer in conjunction with acce

8. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    Everything you need is rolled in one IC now.

You need an accelerometer IC and an analog to digital converter to read the outputs.

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/252

A compass IC will give you bearing if thats what you want to find.. Or for more precision, use a GPS module.

9. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    That is only for full awareness, such as "vertical, facing east". Otherwise the only calibration you need to do is get the values when it is perfectly level on the X axis, level on Y axis, and level on Z axis.

Decide if you want a 1g "zero" or a 0g "zero" in software for an autozero. Once physically installed in a product, the direction of most gravity/down is usually a combination of X, Y, Z, very low numbers of the two off axis, but measurable, hence software calibration (zeroing) on completed units.

10. MegaMan

Thread Starter Member

Sep 25, 2009
    i don't completely understand.

11. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    I mostly talked about the software calibration of the accelerometer.

You don't need a compass unless you want to know the device's direction relative to the north magnetic pole.

The accelerometer will tell you if an item is accelerating, but not moving steadily. It gets a little complicated to determine distance moved with only an Inertial Navigation System (INS), which is what it sounds like you are attempting to create.