Motion activated TARDIS oscillating light and sound effect

jugglingguy

Joined Nov 20, 2009
Hello all,

I am brand new to circuits and wiring, but I have been given a task that requires me to learn some. I need to make a card box for my brother's wedding that looks like the TARDIS from Doctor Who (about 2 feet tall). Cards will be put in through an ajar door, and the card needs to trigger a switch that causes the light on top of the box to slowly strobe on and off while playing the sound of the TARDIS landing. It only needs to last approximately 10 seconds.

Preferable this will run off batteries, but I can deal with having to plug it in if necessary.

So far I have found this potentially for the sound effect. I have looked at both PIR sensors and Ultrasonic for the initial trigger, I'm not sure which is better (the cards might not be warm enough to trigger PIR?).

I have not been able to find a circuit that will slowly strobe a small bulb. The only restriction for the bulb is that it needs fit inside a cylinder 2 inches tall with a diameter of 1 inch.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. When it's finished I'll get pictures and video up to show how it worked!

PS The sound effect can be found here. And this is the TARDIS (for those sad people that don't know)

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Try something like this...

There are whole catalogs of fading LEDs, aka throbbing LEDs, in various threads here. When I have more time I'll see what I can do to help.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
With a little help from your friends? :)

I'm a Whovian, I got to see the series start in Britain when my Dad was station there in the Air Force. There are others around, check this thread out...

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=26443

I've helped Fenris with several of his props, as have other people. He's made a really neat Darlek voice/lights (with no help from me, other people jumped in there).

If you want to get started in electronics take a look at my projects...

Bill's Index

The 555 Projects

My 555 projects are pretty exact, showing you how to make them from parts available at Radio Shack. Look at them, and decide if it is something you want to try. If it is I can help you with the original schematic, if not you're going to have to find someone local to you to serve as a translator, or not.