motherboard ?

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Currently as we speak.
I am curious what is the best motherboard out their ?
Which motherboard supports the most amount memory ?
Which motherboard supports the best/fastest processor ?

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Server mobos, for example from dell and intel usually have vast amounts of ram available - 16GB is just common - and can have muliple multicore processors. But you will likely have to buy the whole machine, as they use special form factors, PSUs etc.

Of course they cost huge amounts of money, but you didn´t mention price is a factor ;)

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Well kind of just wondering what the most amount of memory you can get for a motherboard now a day's. (price not a factor)
I know 32 bit machines had a math limit of 4GB but 64bit machines math limit is definitely much more then what they are capable of making right now any way.

And what would the fastest cpu processor you can get for a PC would be today?
Would it be the i7 intel, some amd chip or something totally different ?

intel usually have vast amounts of ram available - 16GB
really I have only seen up to 8 GB in local stores are you talking about a new server instead of a laptop/desktop pc.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Everything depends on what you need the computer for AND how much youre willing to pay for it. This for example is at the far end of what you can get, 4x xeons with 40GB ram, but I can´t imagine what would the load have to be to fully use it.
If you want a simple single-processor board, there should be plenty for a single xeon or i7, from what I´ve seen 32GB ram capability is common.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
well, ok I am looking for the fastest pc computer that has the most memory possible for around $1000 (plus or minus a few hundred).

Also curious just to know what the current computer in the world is with the most amount of memory and speed?

Question 2
Will it safe me alot of money to build my own parts/just send away for the parts. Or just buy the whole computer at a best buy , or online at newegg .

Back in the day it saved me hundreds of dollars to build my own computer from parts still wondering is it still worth it?

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Assuming you already have an older computer and depending on how old that one is, you probably don´t need a new case, power supply, graphics card, cd-rom, harddisk, monitor etc.

You still didn´t say what do you need more memory for, but anyway, 1000 bucks is more than enough for top-notch motherboard, cpu and ram.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
For example this motherboard doesn´t have ATA anymore..
Ok but it has sata so I am ok since I have IDE/pata to sata converters as well as a sata 1TB hard drives lying around .

CD/DVD drivers are not a question have those already.
mouse/keyboard is not an issue have them already.

Don't need OS software I am going to use software I already have.

Though I may need a power supply, graphics card , and a 802.11n wireless card to go with it.

Question
does the cooling system/heat sink come with the mobo or the cpu or separate?
I would also want to max out the amount of memory available so 32 GB.

depending on the above I may also need a new computer case as well (maybe).

Last edited:

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
It seems like 8GB memory modules are rare and overpriced, you could wait some time for them. You can try to find some other mobos and rams, you should get the idea what you need from the parameters of this one.

I still don´t see what could you possibly need 32GB of ram for. I personally run 32bit XP with 4GB ram, I never had any problems with that even for playing new games.

The cpu comes with the appropriate heatsink and fan.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
I want this computer to be a server as well as a desktop computer so I can run websites / services ,....etc to the world but still have the ability to use the computer at the same time to develop , play games ,...etc .

But also just to have one of the fasts/most memory pc computers around.
I.E something that stands out.

I personally run 32bit XP with 4GB ram
That is the max amount of memory that you can have with 32bits.

I am looking for the max amount of memory for a 64bit one. ( in theory we are on similar planes I am just one level up)

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Perhaps the ASUS sabertooth X58 motherboard would be someting for you:
http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/Inte...ABERTOOTH_X58/
would this be the fastest most memory ,...etc computer.
I see in the spec's it can go up to 24 GB memory and i7 extreme cpu.

curious if their is even better machines that one can build for home uses. ( note I don't care about if it is a server or what type of computer it is )

Basically what is the best motherboard , fastest cpu , max memory that one could build for a computer for home use.

Also just to let you know I use www.distrowatch.com all the time it is great for getting any linux distro you want.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
ok, let me be more precise.

I want a desktop computer for around $1000 plus or minus a few hundred.

That is 64bit machine
That has the max amount of memory I can get ???
That has the fastest cpu I can get for it ???

Correct me if I am wrong that the max memory for a desktop non-server/rack type would be around 16 GB and i7 intel chip.

Unless of course their is some amd chip , ibm chip or other chip maker that has a faster chip then the i7 for desktop machines.

Sorry for being not to precise before.

Last edited:

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Ok, I also have a question on what the current best processor is for a desktop or laptop home pc computer?

Is it i7 Intel or something different?
Also which chip manufacture do you thing is making the best chip currently for desktop/laptop/home computers. Is it amd , ibm , intel ... etc ?

Question 2
For memory what is the best memory modules DDR , DDR2 , DDR3 , SDRAM ,...etc.
I am planning on getting alot of memory for this computer and wanted to know what the best memory is and why. Best meaning most reliable, longest lasting , fastest retrievals ... etc

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Oh man, is it that hard to do some research? DDR is 10 years old, SRAM even older... DDR3 is, who could guess it, the fastest normally used main memory so far.

If by chip manufacturer you mean manufacturer of CPU, then intel is on the top now I think. i7 is their fastest cpu now.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
manufacturer of CPU
For desktop and laptop home computers are the only significant cpu makers
intel and amd. Or is their others?

I do remember I had an ibm think pad along time ago. But I thought ibm ,...etc is mainly for servers and industrial strength computers , not so much in the pc realm.