Motherboard Comparison

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Hey everyone!

As many of you may know, I bought a desktop computer recently and have been having some issues with it rebooting without warning. After replacing various parts, I eventually bought a new motherboard (thinking it was an issue with some of the FETs on it), but had the same issue. I've come to believe the issue is with the processor.

Anyway, I now have two motherboards, both presumably in top-notch working condition. My old motherboard is a Gigabyte EX58-UD3R, approximately 4 or years old. My new motherboard is an Asus Sabertooth X58, also fairly old but refurbished by the manufacturer. My question is this: Which one would you guys suggest I hang on to and which one should I sell? Both boards are in excellent, like-new condition.

Any opinions and/or recommendations would be very much appreciated!

Thanks guys!
Best wishes,
Matt

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Is it the same power supply and did you switch out the Ram. I burnt out a power supply once and it took the ram?

It could be the CPU, I guess you won't know till you swap it out too!

Not familiar with either of those, can't help.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
There is a setting for default re-boot under some condition. Unfortunately, I suffer from forgetting things I haven't used for years. Maybe somebody else remembers?

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Is it the same power supply and did you switch out the Ram. I burnt out a power supply once and it took the ram?

It could be the CPU, I guess you won't know till you swap it out too!

Not familiar with either of those, can't help.
I've done all my troubleshooting. Tried different PSUs, different RAM. Just about everything you can think of.

There is a setting for default re-boot under some condition. Unfortunately, I suffer from forgetting things I haven't used for years. Maybe somebody else remembers?
Yes, there are settings in the bios to tell it to reboot after system failure, and there are various reasons for system failure. The most common is an overheating CPU. However, I've already done all my testing and heat is not the issue.

I am past the part about troubleshooting, I will be getting a new processor on Monday, so more suggestions regarding the cause of the issue are unnecessary. Chances are I've tested and ruled them out already (trust me, I've been VERY thorough on this one :p)

Right now my concern is which motherboard is more valuable. Nothing more.

Thanks very much.

Regards,
Matt

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I would stick to the one that can take most RAM. Over the years,my experience is that you cannot get enough RAM.

:)
Well the Gigabyte has 4 slots, the Asus has 6 (16GB vs. 24GB, presumably). So that's very helpful. I may or may not ever get more RAM, but it would be good to have the option in the future, I think.

Much appreciated nerdegutta!

Matt

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Only a 64 Bit operating system can use more than 4 Gb.
A 32 Bit operating system will only allow the use of about 3.5 Gb.

Bertus

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Hello,

Only a 64 Bit operating system can use more than 4 Gb.
A 32 Bit operating system will only allow the use of about 3.5 Gb.

Bertus
Thank you Bertus. I am running the 64 bit version of Windows 7 Ultimate, so the more ram the better :D

Cheers,
Matt

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Hey everyone!

As many of you may know, I bought a desktop computer recently and have been having some issues with it rebooting without warning. After replacing various parts, I eventually bought a new motherboard (thinking it was an issue with some of the FETs on it), but had the same issue. I've come to believe the issue is with the processor.

Anyway, I now have two motherboards, both presumably in top-notch working condition. My old motherboard is a Gigabyte EX58-UD3R, approximately 4 or years old. My new motherboard is an Asus Sabertooth X58, also fairly old but refurbished by the manufacturer. My question is this: Which one would you guys suggest I hang on to and which one should I sell? Both boards are in excellent, like-new condition.

Any opinions and/or recommendations would be very much appreciated!

Thanks guys!
Best wishes,
Matt
If your running a lower watt PS I would start by borrowing a friends PS and swapping it out for a day and see if his cuts out and yours stays on. After that step I would replace a memory stick or sticks. Try removing one and seeing if it quits, then try removing the other and see. If it keeps happening then I would look into your CPU since you've already replace the MB.

Of coarse all this is after I've checked all my connections, updated the bios, blown out the heat sink, etc.. Also check if your MB has power monitor software you can download and watch your PS voltages. But follow my instructions and you'll have it fixed quick. To truly reset your bios go into your MB manual and find your reset bios or cmos jumper and go that route. The jumper reset makes it reset powered off at a hardware level. Also make sure your GPU drivers are up to date. I've have this problem with PS, Memory, Plugs, bad bios for my GPU, and not having memory banks full.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
If your running a lower watt PS I would start by borrowing a friends PS and swapping it out for a day and see if his cuts out and yours stays on. After that step I would replace a memory stick or sticks. Try removing one and seeing if it quits, then try removing the other and see. If it keeps happening then I would look into your CPU since you've already replace the MB.

Of coarse all this is after I've checked all my connections, updated the bios, blown out the heat sink, etc.. Also check if your MB has power monitor software you can download and watch your PS voltages. But follow my instructions and you'll have it fixed quick. To truly reset your bios go into your MB manual and find your reset bios or cmos jumper and go that route. The jumper reset makes it reset powered off at a hardware level. Also make sure your GPU drivers are up to date. I've have this problem with PS, Memory, Plugs, bad bios for my GPU, and not having memory banks full.
Hi Max. I have a 650W PSU, so I don't think that's the problem. I've tested the voltages on it and all are A-OK.

As for all your other suggestions, I've already swapped out RAM (and tried all configurations of the cards), checked my connections, updated my bios, cleaned the CPU cooling fan, monitored various power supply and motherboard voltages (including the RAM and CPU), reset the bios several times, updated all drivers.

Like I said before, I'm not looking for more suggestions regarding the cause of the issue. I've literally tried EVERYTHING that you could possibly suggest to fix it :p The only thing not tested is the CPU, which I am working on replacing.

This thread is not for troubleshooting my computer. It's for deciding which motherboard to hang on to and which one to sell. At this point it's looking like the ASUS is a better board to use, but feel free to express your opinions ON THIS MATTER. Thanks :D

Matt

paulktreg

Joined Jun 2, 2008
I've run the EX58-UD3R in my rig for a couple of years now with a i7 920 and it's been rock solid. What do you use your PC for DerStrom8? The Asus is probably the better board but for normal day to day tasks and gaming you'd be hard pushed to pick a winner. I'd probably sell the Asus because you'll get more for it.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I've run the EX58-UD3R in my rig for a couple of years now with a i7 920 and it's been rock solid. What do you use your PC for DerStrom8? The Asus is probably the better board but for normal day to day tasks and gaming you'd be hard pushed to pick a winner. I'd probably sell the Asus because you'll get more for it.
Very interesting thought.

I'm not a gamer, though every now and then I play one or two. I just didn't grow up in the "gaming era" so I never really got into it much. Usually I use my computer for circuit design and simulation (Eagle, Proteus, Multisim, etc), programming (VisualStudio, MPLab), and some video editing/rendering (Adobe AfterEffects, mainly). I do some word processing, some photo editing, and of course, browsing the web.

I'd like to be able to hang onto this computer for as long as possible, so I'd prefer a motherboard that has a better track record for long-term use. The Asus has a 5-year warranty going for it, the Gigabyte does not. But if each lasts as long as the other, it wouldn't make much of a difference (if it's outside of the warranty period).

Ideally I'd like to be free to run multiple OS's, though that's more of a hard drive thing than a motherboard thing.

Those are the current thoughts, anyway.

Matt

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
I don't know if it's any use, but the EEVBlog has just done a video where Dave builds his own PC.

Might find something interesting there.

Sparky

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I don't know if it's any use, but the EEVBlog has just done a video where Dave builds his own PC.

Might find something interesting there.

Sparky
Thanks Sparky. Saw that the day he uploaded it to Youtube :D

Just him putting it together, no reviews or anything.

Matt

paulktreg

Joined Jun 2, 2008
Does the refurbished Asus board still carry a five year warranty and is it transferable to a new owner?

If it does I'm sure you'll sell it very easily and for a decent price.

Will the Gigabyte board perform flawlessly for a few more years?

Which way to go?

Your decision.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Does the refurbished Asus board still carry a five year warranty and is it transferable to a new owner?

If it does I'm sure you'll sell it very easily and for a decent price.

Will the Gigabyte board perform flawlessly for a few more years?

Which way to go?

Your decision.
I expect the warranty is still active, as the board was refurbished by the manufacturer and the warranty booklet was still packed with it in the box. I do not know if it is transferable or not.

I have no idea how much longer the gigabyte board will last. Like I said, it's 4 or 5 years old, never been refurbished, so I'm a bit leery of keeping it. It was, however, originally over $300 (the Asus was a similar price, perhaps slightly more).

Honestly I'm leaning towards the Asus, since it WAS recently refurbished and has two extra RAM slots (in case I decide to upgrade in the future).

I just wanted to see how other people felt about the issue.

I'm also trying to figure out how much to sell the Gigabyte for, if I end up selling that one. Again, it was originally over $300, and it's 4 or 5 years old but works flawlessly, and is in excellent condition. I would probably ask somewhere around $100 obo. Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks,
Matt

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Hi Max. I have a 650W PSU, so I don't think that's the problem. I've tested the voltages on it and all are A-OK.

As for all your other suggestions, I've already swapped out RAM (and tried all configurations of the cards), checked my connections, updated my bios, cleaned the CPU cooling fan, monitored various power supply and motherboard voltages (including the RAM and CPU), reset the bios several times, updated all drivers.

Like I said before, I'm not looking for more suggestions regarding the cause of the issue. I've literally tried EVERYTHING that you could possibly suggest to fix it :p The only thing not tested is the CPU, which I am working on replacing.

This thread is not for troubleshooting my computer. It's for deciding which motherboard to hang on to and which one to sell. At this point it's looking like the ASUS is a better board to use, but feel free to express your opinions ON THIS MATTER. Thanks :D

Matt
Oh nm, reread your post and you already answered your own question.