MOT rewinding

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
So a MOT wastes a lot of energy due to more iron in the core.! Eh!

I am thinking of rewinding it to make a dual 0-30V 10A PSU.
If you have the type that does have magnetic shunts, they can usually be seen between the primary and secondary windings and can be driven out with a punch.
Max.

tinkerman

Joined Jul 22, 2012
What is the purpose of the shunt? I suppose if it's removed that means less iron and less reactive inductance leading to higher amps and more heating.

tinkerman

Joined Jul 22, 2012
Here some pics of a street light ballast modified to build a growler to test armatures from small tools. A few turns of fine wire were wound on the core to left of the AC 120 volt winding used to power a small light bulb as a continuity tester. The laminations were cut to shape and then welded together. Also note the height of the laminations. Only the 120 volt winding was salvaged. I found commercial growlers were a pain because the fan had to be removed in order to place the armature onto the pole faces. This design eliminates that need.

Still searching for another ballast for further pics.

IMGP3069.JPG

IMGP3070.JPG

IMGP3071.JPG

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I have no idea what so ever on what the pictures means. :confused:
A growler is named after the noise it makes when using it! ;)
The growler is made like a primary of a transformer, when you place an armature in it, the armature acts as a secondary, this way you can revolve the armature one com bar at a time and measure the voltage output for shorted/open windings etc.
Max.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
A growler is named after the noise it makes when using it! ;)
The growler is made like a primary of a transformer, when you place an armature in it, the armature acts as a secondary, this way you can revolve the armature one com bar at a time and measure the voltage output for shorted/open windings etc.
Max.
Gotcha ! :rolleyes:

Like to know from what type of light is the ballast from..!