Most vulnerable operating systems and applications in 2014

Discussion in 'Computing and Networks' started by bertus, Feb 28, 2015.

1. bertus

Thread Starter Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  2. Natakel

Oct 11, 2008
  3. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    Not really, update, test the systems and fix them. The most
    vulnerable operating system
    is the human mind. Social engineering and simple appeal to human vice has cracked more systems than any computer bug.

4. tjohnson

Dec 23, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  5. Natakel

Oct 11, 2008
    Word.

6. tom_s

Jun 27, 2014
    interesting reading (and a few of the comments)

using a little common sense first goes a long way to prevention.

i'll make small list up when i have a few mins up my sleeve.

7. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    The data doesn't reflect the real experience of most folks I know. I've been a Mac user for 30 years including a stint as a system manager for a few years in the late 80's. Several family members are also Mac users. In all that time, I don't know of one Mac or one Mac user that used "anti virus" software beyond whatever shipped as part of the OS.

Every Mac user I know "surfs naked" all the time. Would you recommend that to someone running any flavor of Windows?

GopherT likes this.
  8. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Same experience. Original Mac, Mac IIsi, original iMac, 2008 iMac, two MacBook Pros in my family plus all the macs in the grad school lab that I took care of. None of them ever had anti-virus software. None ever had a virus.

The 3 Windows machines always have Norton or Kaspersky running and we still have an issue every few years.

I like how the data consolidate the Mac but makes a bunch of rows for Windows. The comments say, we didn't know how to consolidate the Windows data o_O

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    This is called a straw man argument. You name this undefined everybody as the straw man and then defeat him with your argument. I might say, "Who is this, everybody?" but that would be me getting sucked into an invalid argument.

10. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    People write malware to target the largest group of people. Windows, being the largest group, is the largest target.

If ever Macs get a significant enough use share , you'll see malware directed at them.

11. stormbay

Dec 25, 2014
    Had a good laugh when reading this article, such pathetic apologetics from a microsoft clone. Yet to meet anyone using linux that has ever had a problem with security, but met many who have and problems with Mac and never met anyone who hasn't had trouble with windows security. In fact windows users have to concentrate on security every time they switch on, linux users never seem to have to worry about it and don' know anyone using linux that uses a firewall, anti virus or junk cleaner.

The company I work for, since changing over to linux, hasn't spent a cent on security and they deal with USA based companies mostly, which are overflowing with attached junk and security breaching bots.

12. tjohnson

Dec 23, 2014
    @#12: I was just joking, not trying to form any sort of logical argument.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I was replying to joeyd999 but the forum software doesn't work well for pointing at a person that is not in this thread, so it pointed to you.

tjohnson likes this.
  14. tjohnson

Dec 23, 2014
    @#12: Sorry, I misunderstood. I guess it was confusing that I quoted something he had said several weeks ago in another thread. The forum software does allow you to tag specific users.

#12 likes this.