Most hazardous consumer electrical/electronic product to hit the market (your opinion)?

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
The label on the category was, "Medical errors" not, medical ineffectiveness".
That's, "because of the medical care", not, "in spite of the medical care".
Your point is unarguable where the error would have killed, injured or imperiled a healthy person --- Beyond that it becomes 'variably problematic'... --- Of course it goes without saying that negligence (whether criminal or civil) is reprehensible in either case!:mad::rolleyes:

Very best regards
HP

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
The "Personal Lightning Rod" has got to be the worst of the worst.

After Ben Franklin invented the lightning rod for buildings, some geek thought it would be a spiffy idea to mount them on hats and umbrellas - taking "Wearables" to the level of absurdity.

Lightning Rod 1.jpg

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Your point is unarguable where the error would have killed, injured or imperiled a healthy person --- Beyond that it becomes 'variably problematic'... --- Of course it goes without saying that negligence (whether criminal or civil) is reprehensible in either case!:mad::rolleyes:

Very best regards
HP
The CDC report went into detail about errors. More than 90% of the errors caused death to people with non-life threatening issues. For example, a 4-year-old girl getting some fillings at a dentist. The dentist decided to put the girl under full anesthesia to fill cavities in four baby teeth. She died in the exam chair.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015

After Ben Franklin invented the lightning rod for buildings, some geek thought it would be a spiffy idea to mount them on hats and umbrellas and an absurd example of the term "Wearables".

View attachment 104578
LOL! -- It occurs to me that his 'scientific' apparatus (i.e. that featuring a key and a kite) mightn't have met with 'UL approval' either:eek::D

Best regards
HP:)

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012

After Ben Franklin invented the lightning rod for buildings, some geek thought it would be a spiffy idea to mount them on hats and umbrellas - taking "Wearables" to the level of absurdity.

View attachment 104578

The first time I saw a guy wearing one of those hats I thought, "he's wearing all the current fashions but he'll never get a chance to reach his full potential."

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I just thought of another one! --- Anyone recall those "line 'voltage' verifying screwdrivers"? -- Many of them featured an unballasted NE2 lamp... One lead to the test prod, the other to a metal plate atop the tool which the user was encouraged to contact such that his/her body would act as an antenna!:eek::eek::eek: ---- Of course, should the user inadvertently contact ground... Better not to dwell on it....:eek::eek::eek: --- Incredibly, such 'conveniences' were available 'hereabouts' as recently as five years ago!:eek::mad:

Actually the ones I was familiar with did not cause any grief if one was grounded as the neon set up in them required very minute current to operate.
One has to hold the pocket clip on the top and the current passes through the body to ground, even if one stood on a means of insulation, the current required was so minute.
You can actually still buy them.
Max.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
The CDC report went into detail about errors. More than 90% of the errors caused death to people with non-life threatening issues. For example, a 4-year-old girl getting some fillings at a dentist. The dentist decided to put the girl under full anesthesia to fill cavities in four baby teeth. She died in the exam chair.
You're preaching to the coir on that one! --- Such has been a 'sore spot' with me for some time! -- The growing 'trend' of half-trained (and, not uncommonly, half-witted -- sorry - I call 'em like I see 'em:mad:) 'anesthetists' (as opposed to properly qualified anesthesiologists) 'presiding' over surgery is an abomination!:mad: --- To say nothing of administration of general anesthetic in a dental chair! --- IMO that child (and all suffering her fate) are murder victims!

No-brainier though it may seem -- the need to compartmentalize 'privileges' in accordance with training/expertise is largely lost on the community as a whole...

Most sincerely
HP

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Ya know???

My intent here was to start a 'fun' thread on which we could reminisce about some crazy electronic/electrical products seen on the market over the years -- Thus it seems two of you (you know who you are;)) have turned it into a ("let's gently pounce on HP thread")? --- Don't get me wrong! Your comments all of: civil, well considered and, as far as I'm concerned, for the most part, accurate! -- Still - I feel a bit 'targeted'? --- I can't help but wonder if this is a 'lingering aftermath' of my (admittedly) insensitive 'economic' remarks a few weeks back? --- Please understand that I'm making an earnest effort to address my 'issues' in that regard (witness my attempts to take Aleph's advice (Re: tool descriptions/alternates) on her EHT thread) -- Granted - the addendum is, IMO, nothing short of ludicrous (my fault:oops:) Though I can but hope it shows that I am trying?:rolleyes:

Anyway -- I don't sense any 'hard feelings' here --- Please know there are certainly none on my part!:)

Very best regards all around

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Actually the ones I was familiar with did not cause any grief if one was grounded as the neon set up in them required very minute current to operate.
One has to hold the pocket clip on the top and the current passes through the body to ground, even if one stood on a means of insulation, the current required was so minute.
You can actually still buy them.
Max.
Sounds as if a large ballast resistor was employed? -- Still.... 1/4" of carbon film printed ceramic "against" one's 'neck'?:eek:

Well hey! -- I found this -- of course purists will say it proves nothing inasmuch as the presenter uses the tool outside Spec -- Even so 'line spikes' aren't unheard of - and once ionization is established...:eek::eek::eek:

Notice also the near 100X safety margin of a properly constructed tool (second half of the video).

Very best regards

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Ya know???

My intent here was to start a 'fun' thread on which we could reminisce about some crazy electronic/electrical products seen on the market over the years -- Thus it seems two of you (you know who you are;)) have turned it into a ("let's gently pounce on HP thread")? --- Don't get me wrong! Your comments all of: civil, well considered and, as far as I'm concerned, for the most part, accurate! -- Still - I feel a bit 'targeted'? --- I can't help but wonder if this is a 'lingering aftermath' of my (admittedly) insensitive 'economic' remarks a few weeks back? --- Please understand that I'm making an earnest effort to address my 'issues' in that regard (witness my attempts to take Aleph's advice (Re: tool descriptions/alternates) on her EHT thread) -- Granted - the addendum is, IMO, nothing short of ludicrous (my fault:oops:) Though I can but hope it shows that I am trying?:rolleyes:

Anyway -- I don't sense any 'hard feelings' here --- Please know there are certainly none on my part!:)

Very best regards all around
No lingering feelings. I did not mean to be in "attack mode"... Unless your day job is an administrative type or incompetent practitioners in the medical field.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Well hey! -- I found this -- of course purists will say it proves nothing inasmuch as the presenter uses the tool outside Spec -- Even so 'line spikes' aren't unheard of - and once ionization is established...:eek::eek::eek:
Yes but I have seen a similar thing as part of a circus act where the performer grasped the middle of a 4 ft fluorescent tube and drew an arc to the cap from a HV supply and lit the tubes.
The ones we used in the UK were used mainly on 230vac and were rated at 500v.
Just to show how sensitive they are/were. A brick layer working on an outside wall complained he was getting a tingle every time he laid the mortar, some suggested this was after he had a liquid lunch at the local pub.;)
But a test of the trusty screw driver showed a light almost everywhere on the outside brick wall, it was found that a mounting screw had pierced an outside light fitting supply cable.:eek:
Max.

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
Hypatia's protege said:
Most hazardous consumer electrical/electronic product to hit the market (your opinion)?
If Edison's 40kev excited fluorescent lamp was ever sold I'd say that was it! But it wasn't so I'm saying it's anything that depends on polarized plug for safety cuz a lot of outlets are miswired and it's just stupid and cheap anyway!

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
Granted - the addendum is, IMO, nothing short of ludicrous (my fault:oops:)
HP why do you say that:confused:? I say it's just right! Only one of those tools costs anything to mention and that's not that bad! So I say you're showing and describing tools so they can know other means to end if they don't want to buy med tools! Now I'm saying lets chat about this on eht thread!