mosfets gate-to-source and gate-to-drain?

Kardo22

Joined Mar 12, 2014
Hi,
I'm not very familiar with power electronics and I was wondering what the part in my picture does. It part of a charging circuit but I can't figure out why the mosfets are used differently. Sorry but I can't share more of the circuit.

Attachments

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Hi,
I'm not very familiar with power electronics and I was wondering what the part in my picture does. It part of a charging circuit but I can't figure out why the mosfets are used differently. Sorry but I can't share more of the circuit.
Without more of the circuitry, it's difficult to determine why the MOSFETs are connected in a mirror image. If consider the polarity of the body diodes, which aren't shown in your schematic fragment, it might make sense.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Here is the schematic redrawn with a component that shows the body diodes (which are incorrectly drawn as zeners, but that's what my editor had; it's really just a silicon diode).
bodyDiodes.jpg
Having both MOSFETs on at the same time might make sense in the larger context but, in this fragment, it doesn't... If they're both on all the time, you don't need them and could replace them with a wire.