Mosfets and RC

clarkey.21

Joined Apr 30, 2012
Hi,
I am building a mechanical mole for a university project, but i am needing to build a remote control rotating base station. I have an idea to use Mosfets to allow me to use the 3V RC circuit i have built, as the motor i need to use to rotate the base station is a 12Vdc 5RPM motor as i need the torque that the motor provides. Any help with this would be great.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Find a logic-level MOSFET that fully turns on with 3V and has the required voltage and current rating that the motors require.

Alternately you can use a standard level MOSFET (10V for full on) and use a BJT level shifter to drive it from the 3V.

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
Find a logic-level MOSFET that fully turns on with 3V and has the required voltage and current rating that the motors require.

Alternately you can use a standard level MOSFET (10V for full on) and use a BJT level shifter to drive it from the 3V.
I get the first part but the second paragraph eludes me. Doesn't he still need 10Vcc?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I'm interested what the circuit looks like that uses a BJT to 'shift' 3V to 10V. What is this magic you speak of?
No magic of course. I assume you are taking issue with my use of the term "shifter". ;)

I was referring to a simple NPN common-emitter inverter stage that is controlled by the 3V signal and switches a higher voltage, such as from the 12V motor supply, to control the MOSFET gate.

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
Hi,
<snip> as the motor i need to use to rotate the base station is a 12Vdc 5RPM motor as i need the torque that the motor provides. Any help with this would be great.
No magic of course. I assume you are taking issue with my use of the term "shifter". ;)

I was referring to a simple NPN common-emitter inverter stage that is controlled by the 3V signal and switches a higher voltage, such as from the 12V motor supply, to control the MOSFET gate.
And there you have it. I missed that before !!