MOSFET Unipolar DC motor

klein

Joined Feb 27, 2010
hi
i'v been scraching my head looking at data sheets and i can't seem to find the right MOSFET. the motor i'm working with is a airpax 4shg-060a 46s 6v 7.1 ohm 1.8/step .
what i have been looking at is the IRL540PBF is this a suitable MOSFET i know it is over rated but latter i may install bigger motors.

i have some tip3055 but i think the gate voltage is 3v i'd rather keep the circuit clean as possible.

the .jpg shows the circuit the MOSFET isn't drawn right, i could not find a drawing for it i need to duplicate the circuit in the box 4 times one for each coil.

Attachments

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
With a gate supply of only 5v, you need a logic-level FET. The IRF540 won't be fully "on" until its gate is ~10v above the source. Otherwise, it's fine to over-specify the MOSFET.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
The TIP3055 is not a MOSFET; it is an NPN power transistor. You really don't want to use it for control with logic IC's if you can avoid it.

klein

Joined Feb 27, 2010
hi
wayneh and SgtWookie

i'v spent the morning looking at data sheet, these two look promising with either of them work. the one on the left is fast switching and for the gate +5v should i be looking at the thin red line further down the page?

STP36NF06L
Gate Charge (Qg) @ Vgs 17nC @ 5V

IRL540NPBF
Gate Charge (Qg) @ Vgs 74nC @ 5V

shouldn't both of these have a +5v gate or am i just looking at this all wrong? data in the .jpg file

i am planning on driving this with 4 output's from an arduino uno

Attachments