mosfet question

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
hi, i'm, a newbie to electronics and this forum. i have a question about doing calculations to choose a Nmosfet.

my circuit has a open circuit of 100VDC and a working voltage of approx. 35VDC. witch voltage do i use to choose the Nmos? do i average them ?

the circuit will be switching at a frequency between 5 and 50 kHz. the voltage will be at 100VDC only at the start (5% or less) of the time of each on period.

thanks for any help you can give me, cary

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
The Mosfet must have a voltage rating that is higher than the max voltage it will see.
It gets 100V so select a 150V (or higher) Mosfet.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
The Mosfet must have a voltage rating that is higher than the max voltage it will see.
It gets 100V so select a 150V (or higher) Mosfet.

thank you for the reply. i know to use a higher voltage rated mosfet. what i was asking is, what voltage do i use in figuring the other ratings of the mosfet. like the temperature and such?

cary

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
It takes time for parts to heat up. If the voltage reaches its operating voltage of 35V quickly then use 35V in the power calculation for the load, not for the switching Mosfet.

The Mosfet heats when it is conducting but if it is a switch then its voltage should be very low. Then multiply the low voltage times the current in the Mosfet to determine how much heat it will make.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
It takes time for parts to heat up. If the voltage reaches its operating voltage of 35V quickly then use 35V in the power calculation for the load, not for the switching Mosfet.

The Mosfet heats when it is conducting but if it is a switch then its voltage should be very low. Then multiply the low voltage times the current in the Mosfet to determine how much heat it will make.
thank you Audioguru! that will help with my calculations. all i've read doesn't give this kind of practical answer.

cary