MOSFET power surge protection

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by ice30, Aug 14, 2014.

1. ice30

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Hi,

Fist post, with a big question. I've pretty much got by without asking many questions so haven't needed to post before so hopefully someone can help me...

Basically I want to create a fuse box which will protect against any sort of power supply I plug into it. My intention is to use this box for high current work (~2A) but I want to ensure my voltage remains in the ~12V range to ensure I can't electrocute myself.

I have been looking at MOSFET transistors and drivers and am struggling to understand exactly how they work...

I found this: http://docs-asia.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/0d89/0900766b80d896fa.pdf

So at first glance this appears to be within my design criteria, (4.5V-16.5V and 2A peak). Only thing is I really am struggling to understand how MOSFET transistors work and how to wire up this thing. According to the diagram on the driver it looks like I need an N type MOSFET, is that right? Also I read that I should connect my circuit to the 'OUT' side (after the MOSFET transistor), if so where do I connect the +12V VCC? Does this go to ground? Thanks for any help in understanding this thing.

2. ronv

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 12, 2008
    Over voltage protection circuits often use an SCR to short out the supply and blow a fuse. If you google overvoltage protection circuit you will see many of them. Have a read and come back if you have any questions.

3. ice30

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 14, 2014
    This looks to be exactly what I need, thanks very much. Added bonus is it is quite a cheap solution too! Many thanks!