MOSFET peak pulsed current

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
Hi guys,

For example, the datasheet of a MOSFET states that its peak pulsed current is 50 Amps for 1us.

Is it possible to have a peak pulsed current of 100 Amps for 0.5us or the MOSFET will be destroyed?

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Hi guys,

For example, the datasheet of a MOSFET states that its peak pulsed current is 50 Amps for 1us.

Is it possible to have a peak pulsed current of 100 Amps for 0.5us or the MOSFET will be destroyed?
I would be very reluctant to make that assumption. There is usually a max current that should not be exceeded regardless of the briefness of its duration.

Did you have a specific device in mind?

hgmjr

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
It's for the FDS8447 MOSFET.

It says that the peak current is 50 Amps but it doesn't say for how long. Thus, you have to be right that it is the peak current regardless of the duration. I have seen other MOSFETs whose peak current depends on the duration of the pulse and they have a graph which illustrates the peak current vs pulse width.

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
Download the datasheet and look for an SOA (Safe Operating Area) graph. It will tell you the absolute maximum current and different pulsed maximum current. Do not make an assumption, because the maximum current is not related to only thermal condition of the die, but also the bonding wire used.

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
Download the datasheet and look for an SOA (Safe Operating Area) graph. It will tell you the absolute maximum current and different pulsed maximum current. Do not make an assumption, because the maximum current is not related to only thermal condition of the die, but also the bonding wire used.
Does that mean one might model the pulse 'rating' behaviour somewhat like a fuse "let-through" energy parameter -

say using

I^2xTpulse = constant

rather than

IxTpulse = constant .....?