Moron needs help

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by crazycooter350, Feb 18, 2011.

1. crazycooter350

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 18, 2011
    I have NEVER built a robot before, and I am TRYING to build a LOW BUDGET 33.5 inch tall replica of the "Geoff Peterson" robot, as seen on the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson. How the heck do I get two separate servo motors to run off one controller, like an r/c car controller. Like, one stick controls one servo, and the other controlls the other one? There has got to be a way without spending hundreds of bucks. I plan on using one servo for the jaw, and the other to turn the head. I have the design all figured out, I just need to figure this little hiccup out....

2. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    It´s called 2-channel RC. A typical RC hobby set has a remote with two sticks, a reciever and two servos. Something like this for 100€. Used ones should be even cheaper, but I have no idea where you live.

3. crazycooter350

Feb 18, 2011
    Okay, thank you very much. But, don't R/C cars have one servo for steering, and another standard spinning motor for throttle? Could I just swap the regular rotary with a servo without having to modify or reprogram anything? Please bear with me. This is the first time I have ever done anything like this

4. crazycooter350

Feb 18, 2011
    Oh, and I live in Los Angeles county.

5. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    You probably could, depends on what kind of RC car you buy. The cheap ones will need more modification. And you will need another servo.

6. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    There are many robotics forums "out there", that can help you learn how to approach this problem. I belong to http://www.lynxmotion.net. My robot is built with Lynxmotion's servo controller, which can control up to 32 servos at once. Lynxmotion also sells motor controllers that can be used for your drive motors and microcontrollers that can be used to drive servos, motors, read sensor, etc...

I would suggest going to the forum or any others that you may find and read, read, read... I was where you were in terms of experience about 18 months ago and now have made an animatronic figure.