More POP-SCI nonsense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Saw the mother to this overhyped, clickbait headlined story.
A quirk in the 2nd law of thermodynamics at the quantum level may, MAY, allow an ordered arranging to occur in certain Test conditions that indicate negative entropy has occurred. Order from disorder or the opposite of the 2nd law. I'll see if I can find something link worthy.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Saw the mother to this overhyped, clickbait headlined story.
A quirk in the 2nd law of thermodynamics at the quantum level may, MAY, allow an ordered arranging to occur in certain Test conditions that indicate negative entropy has occurred. Order from disorder or the opposite of the 2nd law. I'll see if I can find something link worthy.
I've looked at the preprint too. There is nothing inside that gives a hint to overunity or any of that jazz. My read is that the entropy of any isolated quantum system does not change. For this to work IMO it would need a quantum scale Maxwell demon, a device that can tell or travel to the future to know the probability of an event.

http://phys.org/news/2016-10-quantum-violate-law-thermodynamics.html

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/10/161020131909.htm

I think it might well be true after all. You have particles that travel backwards in time to satisfy quatum mechanical rules, so naturally, you would need negative entropy.

Probably won't translate well in to "engineering" space where we eat and sleep, but ....
The guy is holding a lamp and the article is saying.
"One implication for the research could be a way to one day remotely power a device—that is, the energy expended to light the lamp could take place anywhere."

What does that mean?

The "engineering" gap between quantum mechanical rules and spooky remote electrical power to a macro-scale lamp is mind boggling. It's on the same order of a 1950's pink Cadillac spontaneously appearing in my driveway.

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
This just illustrates the real lack of knowledge that scientists have about the universe. A couple of decades ago, some egghead said that everything in the universe was accelerating away from everything else (this is where the "dark matter" crap came from). I called "bullsh##" almost immediately then, just like I call it now. Only recently was the cosmological constant found to NOT be increasing like it would need to do to have everything accelerating away from everything else - their explanation: "well, we had too few data points".

Order does NOT come from disorder. Perhaps these morons should take more data before they make bigger idiots of themselves.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
"One implication for the research could be a way to one day remotely power a device—that is, the energy expended to light the lamp could take place anywhere."
I remember learning this "concept" (that seems like too good a word for it) in a Philosophy of Science class in 1976. The laws of thermodynamics don't explicitly rule out energy from one corner of the galaxy disappearing and reappearing on the other side of the galaxy. As a system the energy is conserved. The professor wasn't suggesting it was possible, only that there can be philosophical issues with scientific theories.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I remember learning this "concept" (that seems like too good a word for it) in a Philosophy of Science class in 1976. The laws of thermodynamics don't explicitly rule out energy from one corner of the galaxy disappearing and reappearing on the other side of the galaxy. As a system the energy is conserved. The professor wasn't suggesting it was possible, only that there can be philosophical issues with scientific theories.
Sure and occasionally a drunk Russian will fall 23 stories, land on a car and live.

It's just another Infinite monkey theorem. A mathematical exercise that's completely non-physical even on a cosmic time-frame.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem
The infinite monkey theorem states that a monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type a given text, such as the complete works of William Shakespeare. In fact the monkey would almost surely type every possible finite text an infinite number of times. However, the probability of a universe full of monkeys typing a complete work such as Shakespeare's Hamlet is so tiny that the chance of it occurring during a period of time hundreds of thousands of orders of magnitude longer than the age of the universe is extremely low (but technically not zero).
However, for physically meaningful numbers of monkeys typing for physically meaningful lengths of time the results are reversed. If there were as many monkeys as there are atoms in the observable universe typing extremely fast for trillions of times the life of the universe, the probability of the monkeys replicating even a single page of Shakespeare is unfathomably minute.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
I think the mention of "limitless energy" qualifies as over-unity in the User Agreement.

Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered "off-topic" at all times and will result in Your thread being closed without question:

• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Any kind of jammers (ie - Phone jammers)
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.