More levels of membership???

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by scubasteve_911, Nov 26, 2008.

1. scubasteve_911

Thread Starter Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Hey guys,

I think it would be cool to have more levels of membership. Right now, anyone over 100 posts would be considered senior. How about 100, 1000, 2500, 5000, beyond?

Call it superficial, but it would be fun.

Iron 0 | Zinc 25 | Copper 50 | Cobalt 100 | Cadmium 250 | Bronze 500 | Silver 750 | Gold 1000
    Platinum 1500 | user defined 1 2000 | user defined 2 2500 | user defined 3 5000 | user defined 4 10000

Or maybe simpler ones,

First-Timer
    Beginner
    Novice
    Senior
    Expert
    Master Expert
    Uber Member

Steve

2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

On a dutch forum they use the amount of donation for a "higher rank".
    This goes like this:

€ 1,- t/m € 5,- ==> "Member"
    € 6,- t/m €10,- ==> "Special member"
    €11,- t/m €49,- ==> "Golden member"
    €50,- en higher ==> "Honourable Member"

Greetings,
    Bertus

3. scubasteve_911

Dec 27, 2007
    I think Jedi Knight would be a cool one too. And wookie can be a Wookiee?

Steve

4. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    I did want to do this, however I'm useless at coming up with names! At the moment the status' are the same for someone with 100 post as someone with 100,000 posts, and now the forums are growing as fast as they are it makes sense to acknowledge the incresaed activity and contribution of the members here.

I would be inclined to keep to the "Members" names rather than some sort of abstraction, so I will be open to suggestions (further to those above).

Btw, the current rankings are:

New Member 0-9 posts
    Junior Member 10-49 posts
    Member 50-99 posts
    Senior Member 100+ posts

Dave

5. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Let me be a contrarian. If member ranking/status is a simple function of the number of posts, why have both? I have no problem with the current classifications. John

6. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    The link between posts and member status is baked into the vBulletin forum software; I've never looked at disabling it so I'm not sure what effect removing the entries from the TitleManager feature would be. We keep it generically active so that members can identify Administrators and Moderators around the forums should they need to address something with the like, and also as a quick identification of those who are major contributors here.

The existing classifications were relevant in years past when the forums were much smaller, however the site is literally doubling in size (members, usage, forums, e-book and worksheets) each year, so it makes sense for this to move with the times.

Dave

7. scubasteve_911

Dec 27, 2007
    Nice! I feel very influential now :D

Now, we need someone creative with good taste to come up with the names! And maybe someone to help out with the transition?

Steve

8. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    We do it to keep you on best behaviour! :p :D

Once I have a series of appropriate titles it is only a small job to alter the status' on the forums.

Feel free to throw anything into the hat, we can work out the details later.

Dave

9. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    100+ Student
    500+ Teacher
    1000+ Professor
    5000+ Doctor

Or maybe

100+ AAC Member
    500+ Serious AAC Member
    1000+ Lives on AAC
    5000+ ACC Addict

10. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Are you saying I'm an addict Bill?!! :D

Dave

11. scubasteve_911

Dec 27, 2007
    Now we're getting somewhere :D Dave, let me have my glory!!! :p

I like the academic theme.

50+ Apprentice
    100+ Student
    500+ Teacher
    1000+ Master
    2500+ Doctor
    5000+ Professor
    10000+ Dean

It's just confusing to do, since I think different places have different titles. You need to be a student before you become a teacher, that is obvious. You can get your masters, then your doctorial. Then, you can become a professor and finally a dean after many years.

I just wanted to add a couple more in there, any more ideas??

Steve

12. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    I really doesn't matter much to me, but from my experience with other forums, I think it is inconsistent to imply levels of expertise based solely on the number of posts.

Not many members have contributed to this thread, so it is hard to judge how other members feel about it. For sake of discussion, consider two examples:

1) A hypothetical person who goes on and on about HHO and other over-unity scams.
    2) Myself. I have 877 posts as of now. I try to contibute in areas in which I have some expertise (mostly non-electronics), and in electronics, I try not to post incorrect advice. The process of validating my replies related to electronics is a form of structured learning for me. Having an honorific attached to my membership status would massage my ego, but might be misleading to others.
    3) A member who is working full time and has little time to engage in chit chat, but whose contributions in electronics are like gospel. That person might be mislabeled a student.

If we are going to increase the number of levels, please consider:

1) Create a poll and wait until you have responses from at least 10 senior members.
    2) If possible, count posts differently based on the forum in which they are made. For example, a post in completed Projects might get 2 points, one in Electronic Chat would get 1 point, Off Topic would get no points, and so forth. The devil will be in the details. :D
    3) Whatever you do, please don't institute a member-driven reputation score.

John

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  13. scubasteve_911

Dec 27, 2007
    John,

You raise some good points about misleading information from a high 'ranking' doctor, etc. My initial theme for this idea was for 'fun' and for recognizing people's contributions.

Perhaps a more tame and appropriate ranking system would be

100+ AAC Member
    500+ Serious AAC Member
    1000+ Lives on AAC
    5000+ ACC Addict

As suggested, since it does not imply knowledge on the subject, it highlights participation in the forum.

Steve

14. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Supporting Member
    Senior or Guild(?) Member
    Legendary Member

John

15. Søren

Sep 2, 2006
    I have to second that!

I have seen numerous airheads titled with some kind of "expert-grade", solely because they have no life, besides typing on and on at web boards. Similarly, most real "experts" (whichever title), usually have a life outside the www.

Post counts only shows how obsessive you are IMO :D

A real "grading" system could be made by other users judging the quality and relevance of any post and then divide the result with total post count. That would give, not a perfect grading, but at least something with a certain amount of reality incorporated.
    It could be made with the classic 1 to 5 stars (or whatever) under each post, for others to throw a vote.

That is... If enough people find a grading important. I for one don't - I know my level of expertise (and my limitations) but if the majority thinks it's cool/fun/whatever, at least make it useable for the newbies, so they can see who is considered Naughty or Nice - sorry... My S.O. is allways early rambling about X-mas... Ho-ho-ho :)

16. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    A.A.C. has a system or method of doing things that evolves as it
    grows.More visitors sign up every day because they like friendly
    debate and knowledge that the A.C.C. members have.Like the
    request for science forum. The only title that seems out of place
    is junior, but member should hold the greater meaning.Being accepted
    as a member with a global voice mean a lot.This is forum,not a competition. We have a great leadership that work well,letting
    everyone have there say and getting a responce to there request.
    If you had vote post,It would drop off after fifty.We have thousands
    of members that like the forum the way it is.
    One Man Opinion-What would you connect a Loosewire too.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  17. scubasteve_911

Dec 27, 2007
    Soeren,

Thanks for your opinion. I have addressed the issue of # posts versus expertise above, this is a well-defined problem with the 'ranking' system. Then, I suggested that we move on to the contribution-based approach. One can argue a post is not always a contribution, but at least it is participation. Participation and contribution are two things that forums thrive on, thus should be recognized.

Obsessive isn't exactly a flattering word, which I find offense to. The word obsessive literally means that one is not able to think about anything else. This implies that people that makes a lot of posts cannot think about anything other than AAC and have no other thinking or work to do; fairly insulting don't you think? I am a very busy person outside of AAC, but I like to contribute when I can, and I like to ask questions on here. This hardly entails obsession.

Perhaps passion is a better word?

Steve

18. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    It won't make fifty post. By the way junior is a U.S.A thing.

19. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    Check mate,what were you doing for the 12:00 mid nite
    for the Millennium. Will give honest reply,I have a life.Let hear a little
    about life away from the computer,you have met the greatest life
    on Earth. What the greatest meal you ever had,that should be
    easy to start.Now remember you said stay away from computer
    stuff. Life Vs Life------- Life begins at----

20. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    It will make fifty post,if there life on Mars there must be life on the
    Forum. I'll keep searching,live must be in front of the computer screen.
    I would like to think that Dave has been Knighted by the Queen.
    WE may have a Prince,King,who knows until we find life.Thingmaker
    needs a Harley. I know you enjoy this,but I am being called to do the
    dishes.