Moon Light.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BR-549, Jun 16, 2016.

1. BR-549

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2013
    Do you know the phase of the moon, without looking it up? Of course you don't. You have no need to.

But all of your pre-history ancestors did, young and old, male and female. And they all knew it very well.
    Did they worship or were they in awl of the moon? Nope, not at all. They HAD to know.

I have been described with various adjectives, by many people, at various times, as being pre-historic, so I must be an expert.

All pre-history cultures had two wake periods and two sleep periods a day. The first half of the day was for survival related work. All people would knock off around noon and have a second sleep period thru midday.
    Upon wakening in early evening, one could finish survival needs (seasonal hunting, checking flock for night), but mainly the second part of the day was for social interaction. Families and group gatherings, dancing. BUT mostly for individual sex. Sex was about all they had and they used it.

If you wanted to get any, you will learn to move and plan in moonlight. If you make a date for Friday nite, you better know if you can see well enough for the rendezvous. By the time you are 12 or 13, (most likely younger) you will know the coming phases and light available. The flicker of a flame would limit your night vision. And there was no street lighting.

Many, many other activities were done in the cool of moonlight. Hunting, fishing and gathering.
    Even though our nite vision is poor, we have adapted and have always been both night and day creatures.

One of the first patterns we learned was the timing of night lightness. Which is forgotten now.

And I highly recommend a two sleep period day. Keeps one in balance. And you might get a little.

2. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    Sounds like my normal work day.

3. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Not as a rule - 'tho I can tell you that it's currently nearly 'full' and, at this moment, precisely at the zenith as viewed from Port Vila!:D

Best regards
    HP:)

4. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    Do historians agree, or do you remember this?

5. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    -- Emphasis added--

I'll wager @joeyd999 does!:D

Running for cover!:eek:
    HP;)

6. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    Well, of course a guy needs to know the phases of the moon!

Ya don't wanna go running naked through the woods at 2 AM whooping and howling without enough light to see where you're going. :oops:

As for getting some, what kind of women are you chasing that you only want too... um.... only when it dark? o_O

7. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    Not only do I remember, I still practice.

Hypatia's Protege likes this.
  8. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    @BR-549

Do you have any references to support the claims of afternoon activities? It doesn't seem biologically plausible to me.

...and, the hopes that I "might" get a "little" are not motivation when my current schedule removes has proven quite successful. You must be doing something wrong if a normal schedule is causing you to take such measures to have a chance to get a little.

I look forward to the reference that supports your claim (please post a well respected journal rather than a blog post or equivalent).