Monostable switch that closes relay for 5 secs when power is applied and removed

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyjms2005

Joined Jul 23, 2014
Hello
I am trying to figure out a circuit that closes a relay for 5 secs when 12volts is applied.
Once the 12v is switched off I need the relay to close for 5 secs once again.

I was thinking of maybe using a capacitor in the circuit to hold the charge for closing the relay once power is removed.

I really need some input on this though.

Thanks in advance

Antony

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Do you want to learn to build a circuit, or is this a one time thing, where a delay relay would help you out?

It just so happens that this seems the exact operation, I was seeing in another recent thread.

tonyjms2005

Joined Jul 23, 2014
Hi
Thank you for your reply.
I have learnt how the 555 timer works and think this will work best for me.
This is the first post I have made, but yes I would like it to be a one shot monostable switch, one pulse when I apply 12v to an accessory wire and then another pulse once that wire has 0v.
There is also a permanent 12v wire the utilize.

Thanks

Antony

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
I hope I haven't discouraged someone from posting a 555 circuit.

For a one time need, I find that the multi-function timer/relays often fit the bill.

Can't compete with a $.25 chip though.

Good luck:)

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Did someone say 555? Here's a quick & dirty solution, not tried, not breadboarded but a start. Think it would be better if we used a 2 in quad NOR & eliminate the 2N3904, 1K & 1N4148's, but I'm out of time till monday

Attachments

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Hello
I am trying to figure out a circuit that closes a relay for 5 secs when 12volts is applied.
Once the 12v is switched off I need the relay to close for 5 secs once again.

I was thinking of maybe using a capacitor in the circuit to hold the charge for closing the relay once power is removed.

I really need some input on this though.

Thanks in advance

Antony
Is there power available after the 12V is remover?

Ken

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
A 5 second timer is the trivial part.

The devil lying in the details is a trigger circuit that can fire a timer if the input goes low to high or high to low.

One further spec clarification: If the 12V enable signal changes in under 5 seconds, what happens?

tonyjms2005

Joined Jul 23, 2014
Hi
Its basically for my car as I am installing a custom gps system, I need to simulate a push button of the system to power it on/off.

I have been doing some research and have come up with a diagram, see attached.
Basically when the ACC is powered the relay activates one of the monostable switch.
The same then when the ACC is powered down.
I had incorporated a delay in the ACC switching to allow for the starting of the engine which of course disables the ACC for a few seconds.

See what you think? Is there anything I have missed or done wrong?

Thanks

Antony

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.