Monitoring PIC UART & Modem Com.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Happy New Year Greetings to all My Friends on AAC.

Wish you a prosperous new year 2017. :D

I like to know if there is a way to check what the PIC UART & MODEM is talking about. ( I mean of course I know what they talk since I am the one programming them. )

I like to do some time calculations and to do that I need to know the time the two takes to talk to each other.
i.e response time calculations and to trouble shoot certain errors if it occurs.

I like to see the communication via serial port of PC.
The PIC UART is connected via MAX232 to Modem

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Hi.

Happy new year.

I connected a PIC TX pin to the RX pin on an RS232/TTL USB converter, which in turn was connected to my computer. I was able to see all the communication coming from the PIC.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Hi.

Happy new year.

I connected a PIC TX pin to the RX pin on an RS232/TTL USB converter, which in turn was connected to my computer. I was able to see all the communication coming from the PIC.
I can see that.
I wanted to see the communication going on between the PIC and the Modem.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
A logic Analyzer is more expense.
Wondering if I could build one .
Of course you can. You will just need to understand of of the timing of the pulse train so you can decipher the data. Then there is the whole GUI end. But look at that open source stuf, that part might be free.

And I think the open source hardware is free too. But I think they sell complete kits.

I wrote a "serial data analyzer" for a PC years ago. It requires your PC has 2 serial ports. If you are interested I can see if I still have it.

Last edited:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I found it but it is so old I can't load it into Visual Basic. Maybe you can find an old version or figure out how to convert?

I have the EXE but it says there is a missing OCX. That give you an idea how old this thing is. ;)

Attachments

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
I do shit-tons of serial com debugging work, in terms of cost and simplicity, you cannot beat the combo of:

A) Digital scope, watching TX and RX lines.

B) A terminal emulator program, like Brays Terminal.

Use the scope to see the overall timing and relationship of the data packets, use the terminal emulator to see what the data actually is.

There are better tools (some digital scopes can decode and display the serial data along with the waveforms) but they tend to be very expensive.