Momentary switch to activate & deactivate relay?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by rogue909, May 13, 2014.

1. rogue909

Thread Starter New Member

May 13, 2014
    I am relatively new to circuit building. Most of the time it is basic switch & LED wiring for computer projects. But now I have one I am stumped on.

I am installing a power inverter, I am bypassing the switch on my power inverter and was planning to use a standard relay coupled with a mounted switch to do so. I ordered my switch and unfortunately the switch I received was a momentary instead of a toggle style as I am used to.
    Now, in order to keep the look consistent with my switch panel, I need to figure out a way to use the pulse of the momentary switch to activate a relay. Then use the pulse of the switch again to deactivate the relay.

Is there a piece I can order to accomplish this? Preferably I would like an off the shelf item, but if need be I am not afraid to solder a small boards but the circuit diagram would need to be explained thoroughly for me to understand it.

My electrical experience is that of an electrical engineering 101 class (i am a mech engi in training :D). So i understand the basic ohm's law, series & parallel principles but I can honestly say I have no clue what a relay looks like in a circuit :(

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  2. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    Have you read the terms of service on this site? Particularly section 6 which discusses prohibited topics, such as automotive modifications? The link is at the bottom of every page. I would expect the moderators to close this soon.

3. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
    A ratchet relay changes state with each pulse.

4. rogue909

May 13, 2014
    Was not trying to offend anyone, did not realize that posting with regards to a switch to relay question was going to prove problematic. Anywho, the offensive word "vehicle" was edited from the post.
    Thank you for the correction.

5. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
    Found on line. Remember it from before, but don't know if it works.:(

6. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
    Editing won't help.:eek:

Seems switching an inverter on and off isn't a vehicle mod. But I'm new here.:)

7. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    If it's plugged into a cigarette lighter outlet, then it's likely not to be considered a mod. Perhaps I spoke too quickly. Let's see what the moderators decide.

8. rogue909

May 13, 2014
    Mayhaps, but I tend to just try and appease those who have 700 posts more than me and the words "senior member" written by their name.

Anywho, looking at that diagram, I'm kinda confused.
    Trying to track the current...
    In from the 12v hot -> side "a" NC on relay 3 -> side "b" on relay 2 -> load

12v input pulse comes -> side "b" on relay 1 -> switch side relay 3?
    Im not quite sure how this would turn off relay 3? Im a little fuzzy on relay construction, but from what I can remember there is a switch normally controlled by an electromagnet that the "signal" wire operates. From that I can't seem to understand why the relay 1 side "b" would run to the switch side of relay 3?

Regarding ratchet relays; I was under the impression that ratchet relays worked similiar to latching relays in a sense that a pulse would turn it on, but not turn it off. The relay only turn off when the entire circuit was broken somewhere else.

9. rogue909

May 13, 2014
    Without going into too much detail, seeing this isn't an automotive forum - the power inverter is a 2000w inverter wired a battery bank (for camping).

10. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
    I don't understand the diagram myself. It's just a common one from google.:D

A ratchet relay does just what you want. Similar action to a retractable ball point pen.

Each activation changes the contact positions. For heavy load use it to activate a larger less expensive relay.

I'll try a better picture.

See how each time the pin pulls in it toggles?

11. rogue909

May 13, 2014
    Lol, ok I feel a lot better about not understanding the relay diagram now.

I didnt think of a ball point pin action.. makes sense for doing what I need.
    Ill have to swing by ace electronics tomorrow and see if they have any ratchet relays.
    If they dont... mouser still a good place to buy things? >.>

12. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
  13. inwo

Nov 7, 2013

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Here are a couple of drawings I found in my stock.