Momentary on

mlacomb

Joined Aug 4, 2013
All:

I have a project I'd like to tackle. I call it "motorcycle safety".

In my previous house, I took an LM317 and adjusted resistor values to engage a "stuck on" garage door opener remote. This remote ran at 6v, and never gave me any issues. The input for the circuit ties into my high beam output directly from the headlamp assembly in the motorcycle.

My new garage door opener takes 3v. However, since I'm further away from the city I can see using the high beams for longer periods of time. I could take the shortcut route and just adapt my lm317 solution to provide constant on to the remote, but I think having a momentary on switch circuit might be a better idea. I'm thinking anywere from 1-5 seconds, and then off for the rest of the duration of the input voltage. I just don't like the idea of the remote being on constantly while I am away from the house with high beams on.

I've seen several different schematics here that I can take and modify - so if it were up to you, how would you do it? I have 2 available 12v inputs - a constant on source and the high beam source, and the output can be either a switch of sorts (to "press" the garage door opener) or I might just feed the lm317 directly so I don't have to worry about button cell battery life.

Let me know what you think!

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You can use a 555 timer circuit to trigger the remote on for 1 second when a switch is activated. But what is wrong with just pressing the remote button?

With the remote constantly on, how many garage doors open as you drive past?

Btw, your thread will likely be closed soon because of TOS violation.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
I just used industrial velcro and stuck my garage door opener to my bikes fairings. When I get to my house I just press the button.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I just used industrial velcro and stuck my garage door opener to my bikes fairings. When I get to my house I just press the button.
On 'naked' bikes, there is not a good and accessible place to put the remote while keeping it out of the weather. I put mine under the seat and routed two thin wires from under the seat, under the tank, up the headset, to a 1/16th" hole in the handlebar and out at the grip weight. I added a small momentary switch there (end of handlebar). Almost invisible.

Last edited: