Mojo FPGA dev board -starting FPGA

Shagas

Joined May 13, 2013
Hello ,

So lately I have been thinking of slowly getting in to FPGA and one night while browsing I ran into this dev board :

http://www.adafruit.com/products/1553

It's some Mojo FPGA development board using a Spartan 6 XC6SLX9 FPGA.

Can someone with experience in FPGA take a look at it?
Is it worth getting? The reason why I am fixated on this one is because it claims many tutorials and accessable materials for an easy start with FPGA's and... it looks pretty sexy with that matte black and green.
It also uses an atmega32(which I have some experience with) as the configuration micro (which goes into slave mode after configurating the fpga) so I guess that will come in handy at some point.

I don't have anything specific in mind for it yet , but I would like to get into basic video processing etc , especially inclined towards robotics.

So...should I go for it or does someone have anything better to suggest ?

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
Nice find!

I too would be very interested in expert opinions because like Shagas I have been wanting to just mess with FPGAs and get some experience ever since I programmed one on a course many, many years ago.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
It's decent.

I have a Spartan 3E dev board with loads of bells and whistles as my prototyping platform, which is pretty nice.

I haven't looked at the tutorials, but knowing Adafruit, there should be some resources out there.

Seems like a good starter board, though, like most things on Adafruit, a bit overpriced...

Shagas

Joined May 13, 2013
Thanks for the input , tshuck.
I checked on ebay and on some other webpages and the price is the same .

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Looks good. Lots of I/O to play with. It should keep you entertained for days and the price isn't too bad. When I got started in FPGA's nobody could afford a dev board. You might want to do a little more checking and find a board with USB and Ethernet on board. You might find one not much more than what this one costs.