Modifyng a LM338k based power supply

flyer.gio

Joined Dec 16, 2008
Hi to everybody

I have this power supply

(see before.pdf)

the output voltage is variable by a resistor ladder and 3 binary thumb wheel switches (contraves).
It can provide very low voltages (below 1,2 volts to nearly 0 volts) as it use a negative reference voltage (see IC1 and IC2).

now I would like to modify this PSU removing the resistor ladder and the switches, and putting a simple potentiometer:

(see after.pdf)

The problem is that the resistor ladder was not linear :
800Kohm to have 0,1 V.
400Kohm to have 1,0 V.
2,8Kohm to have 28 V.

And using the potentiometer the output is not linear too...

Anybody as an idea to get a linear variable output using a potentiomenter?

Thanks a lot in advance
Gianni - Italy

Attachments

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Keep in mind that the LM338 requires a minimum load of 10mA to provide guaranteed regulation.

As designed, the supply by itself does not have sufficient internal loading to provide that load.

italo

Joined Nov 20, 2005
do this from adj to out put 120Ω put 3k pot to an lm113 zener tied to gnd THAT GIVE YOU -1.2V. add a 680 to -12v to supply zener current. this circuit will give you 0-22v output. like the sarge say the min load got to be >10ma otherwise you will get some voltage but no regulation.

Attachments

italo

Joined Nov 20, 2005
I use express schematic and layout. so when i store it as xxx.sch that is why you cannot open it. I KNEW THAT SO . i wrote the instructions on how to modefy your circuit. read again and apply. you need a neg 1.25v and those resistors as explained. It is simple to inplement. read again and make your own schemastic.

flyer.gio

Joined Dec 16, 2008
I I KNEW THAT SO ....... read again and apply....... read again and make your own schemastic.
Italo,

thanks for your answer,
but don't get angry please :)

I made a polite question, I only requested a different file format of your attachment...
Sorry if my question was so stupid for you!:)

Anyway, thanks a lot again
Gianni

Last edited: