Modifying router speed control for soft start

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by cgallery, Jun 15, 2014.

1. cgallery

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 15, 2014
    I have some tools (primarily a table saw) with universal motors and geared arbors which don't have a soft start feature. They can kick like a mule when started.

I have a variable speed router control like this one:

And I'm wondering whether it would be possible to substitute some sort of RC network for the potentiometer that would bring the connected device up to full speed over maybe 1-2 seconds?

Any other ideas?

As an alternative I found this product:

But it is good for 220-volts and 10-amps. I asked at another forum and was told that if I tried to use such a device at 110-volts, it would still only be good for 10-amps and not the 20 like I thought. My table saw is 15-amps (max). If anyone could confirm that is likely the case I can cross it off my list of options (the manufacturer hasn't gotten back to my E-Mail so I haven't been able to confirm with them).

Any other ideas are welcome, BTW. I don't mind spending some money on a ready-made product.
  2. MaxHeadRoom

Jul 18, 2013
    You may be taking a $50.00 risk to operate it at 15amps, if only rated for 10?
    A small Pic etc with a ramp start Triac circuit could be built, if you have the facility?
  3. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2014