Moderating Policy

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by atoz, May 14, 2013.

1. atoz

Thread Starter New Member

May 13, 2013
    Hi,

as a new member my opinion will have little weight, but nevertheless I want to impart my first impression here, particularly the closing of my thread http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=84955 due to "safety" issues. I can't see any with TENS, particularly with dozens of circuits freely accessible online. If someone is dumb enough to electrocute themselves, they'll just find simpler ways. This is overzealous moderation and borders on censorship.

2. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    You need to understand something: electricity is dangerous. Very small currents can stop your heart. Voltage can cause muscle spasms, which is a bad thing if applied on your throat or chest. What do you want to do? You want to apply these to you're body, despite a self-proclaimed ignorance of electric circuits.

The mods may have saved you from earning a Darwin award.

3. atoz

May 13, 2013
    You don't have to know everything, if you know where to find it.
    When you do ask questions, you may look stupid.
    When you do NOT ask questions, you will STAY stupid.

Taken from bertus' signature. How about educating people if you're so concerned with safety here instead of trying to withhold information and keep them dumb, basically treating them like a kid. I understand your concerns, but they don't invalidate the arguments in my first post. Besides, I didn't proclaim to ignorance, I know what I'm doing.

4. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

To start with, I did not make the rules, I just enforce them.
    The rules are made by the owners of this site.
    As a lot of very young people also visit this forum, they want to have a high safety standard.

Bertus

tshuck, DerStrom8 and Wendy like this.
  5. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    This is not censorship. This is a privately owned website. If you don't like the rules go someplace else.

dthx and DerStrom8 like this.
  6. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    Were it true that you know what you are doing, you needn't ask anyone else for help.

Being an educational site does not mean we will show people how they might electrocute themselves. There is a certain level of skill one needs before doing something like what you suggested. The basic rule here is if your have to ask, you aren't qualified.

Either way, you agreed to the terms of service before your post and the mods have exercised their right to close your thread.

There are plenty of other forums, if you feel the need to electrocute yourself...

7. atoz

May 13, 2013
    Now, don't get worked up.
    I didn't infringe on any rules nor does the TOS relate to TENS. It's all your interpretation. However, it's quite clear on ad hominem (also tshuck).

Oxymoron. I said I know what I'm doing, not necessarily how. Isn't that the whole point of asking?

Anyway, my point is, this stricture is completely beside the point because like I said the schematics are openly accessible. TENS is probably safer than working on a TV or any mains powered device. Why would you forbid talk about it here of all places.

8. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    The difference is that one does not apply the power supply from a TV to their body.

Just because you can find circuits online doesn't mean anything. So what? We don't have them here.

Could not TENS be shocking a person? Are you not doing just this as the point with TENS?
    The only ad hominem here seems to be your refusal to accept that this is potentially dangerous, therefore, it will not be discussed.

So, because you know you want to apply a power source to your body, you should be told how?

Now, take a moment, if you need to ask how to apply a power source to your body, you aren't qualified to do so safely. This is not an oxymoron, what it is saying is that those who are qualified to do this, already know how.

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  9. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    The other point is you come here looking for help but we cannot give you any assistance.
    What are you to do? Complain or look for help someplace else?

dthx likes this.
  10. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    When Bertus closed your thread, he cited the reason why. He was kind enough to tell you where you went astray of the rules here. Your liking or not liking the reason is not up for discussion. Safety is paramount around here.

I don't think you should assume every circuit out there on the internet works as advertised and is safe.

11. gerty

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 30, 2007
    And you have to remember some people think "If a little is good, a lot has to be better". Those are some of the people that I worry about..

12. atoz

May 13, 2013
    What other point. I haven't read a single rational explanation except for vague safety concerns which don't apply - or if they do, you'd have to restrict half the conversation on this forum.

There is nothing kind about closing a thread (however he did state it wasn't his policy).
    And like I said, I didn't violate any rules - as long as the law here isn't written as it's spoken. You're probably just miffed I didn't quietly accept the ban hammer.

This is getting tiresome. I made my point - may you have the last word.
    Ω

13. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    I say take it up with management and demand your money back!

tshuck, DerStrom8, shortbus and 2 others like this.
  14. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    Yep, you illustrated your expertise when you said
    And that is when I reported your thread. You clearly showed that you didn't have an idea about electrical safety.

You didn't get banned. Your still here and can post. You just have to post within the rules.

No one here is stopping you from doing whatever you want with any homemade TENS unit. Your just not going to get any advice on the TENS unit from the members here.

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  15. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    I was asleep during this conversation. In case atoz is still reading, I would also like to state this excerpt from the ToS.

P.S.
    I 've had the question for a long time. How is the verb deem used? Can you give me some examples? I 'll break them to another thread.

16. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    One more thing that nobody has mentioned--You are not supposed to discuss the Moderators' decisions in open forums. You're supposed to talk to them through PMs if you think you were unjustly moderated. Don't clutter up the public forum just because you think you were wronged.

17. atoz

May 13, 2013
    Since there have been a few more replies and, as the thread title states, this is also of public concern -
    I'm wondering why you have to resort to authoritative phrases ('not up for discussion') and a catch-all TOS instead of openly addressing an issue that, as you say, also other users are wondering about.

18. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Because it is his ball and he can take it away when ever he wants.

19. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    If you have such a problem with them, why did you agree to them? You could have simply kept on going to another forum, but instead you came here, broke the rules, and started complaining when the rules which you agreed to were enforced.

DerStrom8 likes this.
  20. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    The TOS clearly states that discussion of this sort of project is prohibited. If you don't understand that, you probably never read the TOS. That means you likely just hit "accept" without reading them when you signed on for an account, yes?

This reminds me of a South Park episode I saw recently....

South Park Episode

Georacer likes this.