modem issue...

killerfish

Joined Feb 27, 2009
Hi,

i have internet disconnection issue frequently these days. today I realised that everytime my modem operates it get very warm very quickly which i think is abnormal. so i did a check on the adaptor O/p and modem I/p current both are no match. Is that normal?

modem spec

power adapter spec

Thanks you.

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
i did a check on the adaptor O/p and modem I/p current both are no match. Is that normal?
One is the output capability and the other is the maximum current drawn. You can use an adapter outputting 12V 5000A for this modem and it will still work fine. You don't have to use 1.25A even the adapter can provide that much.

Use a meter to check the output voltage of the adapter. It should be between 11.8V to 12.4V as it is an regulated power supply. I would have said 11.9V to 12.1V but then again I looked at where it is made.

If the voltage is within range, then the adapter is consider OK.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
My old supra modem gets quite hot on my BBS. I laid a couple of heat sinks on top and have a fan blowing through them. This after the 1st one fried. I've had another die, but it wasn't a heat issue.

killerfish

Joined Feb 27, 2009
One is the output capability and the other is the maximum current drawn. You can use an adapter outputting 12V 5000A for this modem and it will still work fine. You don't have to use 1.25A even the adapter can provide that much.

Use a meter to check the output voltage of the adapter. It should be between 11.8V to 12.4V as it is an regulated power supply. I would have said 11.9V to 12.1V but then again I looked at where it is made.

If the voltage is within range, then the adapter is consider OK.
thanks... guess new modem for me soon...

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Bill, Im sure that SurfBoard would run circles around your analog modem..

What are the specs on your BBS modem? 19.2?....28.8?....dare I say SLOWER? You could have the breakneck speed of 9600bps. I was SOOOOO happy when the 9600bps modem dropped below a $300 range so I could afford one.

Even though the day after I got it, It seemed the BBS's I got it to leech from, upgraded to 14.4...

such is life.

Back on topic..

I have a surfboard modem to the same specs, and it runs without noticeable heat generation at all.

Is there anything leaning against the air vents? Or is it right up against anything that could impede air flow?

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
I am amazed to hear that people are still using dial-up modems today.
I got high speed cable internet about 12 years ago.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
I am amazed to hear that people are still using dial-up modems today.
I got high speed cable internet about 12 years ago.
More common than you might think. Unlimited Dial-up access can be found for as little as $5/month, mainly because we've still got tons of modem pools out there that remain online. I've even got stuck into cheap motels at times that didn't have so much as an ethernet jack but nowadays most will have minimal speed WiFi.

Seems to me I started out at 800 baud (term we used before Kbps) and moved up from there. By the time the internet came around I had one of those newfanfgled 14.4 Kbps modems, then 28.8, 33.6 ending with the "56K" stuff as it was being developed and there were two standards at the time.

They really didn't do so bad back when common web pages were mostly text and images, nowadays 18 Flash things all want to start up while a video loads itself expecting that you'll want to watch it. People that write these pages must expect you to have a 10 Mbps connection and a quad core processor with an expensive co-processing graphics card.

Whenever I put together an old PC to give a needy family I always include an analog modem, I've collected tons of them over the years as I have other people's old PCs and misc parts donations. Quite honestly I'm sick of playing with them so sometime in the near future I'm going to pick out a few of this and that then pass on the rest of the stuff to one of the mnay others that do this sort of thing and there are a lot of them out there. A Pentium 3 with at least 128K of RAM and a 10G hard drive will handle Win98 SE just fine and people are always giving away CRT monitors on craigslist.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
I used my 486 pc on broadband high speed cable internet and the "experts" said it was impossible. It worked perfectly with Win98 as the OP system.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I have FIOS, but that has noting to do with a BBS. I also use a K6 processor on my BBS, because BBS software doesn't handle faster/better, and I use Win98. And yes, I have a Supra 28.8 with caller ID.