Mobillity Scooter Again

oshb5ems

Joined May 15, 2014
Hi All
Back to the scooter again. I have not been well for a bit so not done anything to it. Anyway I have been tracing the wires and building up a picture and drawing it I now just need to split the back end away from the scooter so I can get access to the main controller as there is a 14 pin plug I need to test and trace the wires to.
As I need to find out if there should be voltage to the small red wire one pin 1 of the main connector plug and which pin this corresponds to on the 14 pin plug of the main controller. As I should think that with 24v going into the controller there should be some voltage out to power the ignition and ancillarys Dont you?
So now I just need to get the controller off and test the 14 pin plug and is why I have not listed anything on as yet.

Os

Attachments

oshb5ems

Joined May 15, 2014
Hi All
Well I have the controller off. Photo included and wires traced.
Now can I ask on the photo I have put a small red ring around the pin that eventually leads the red wire to the ignition switch. Now like I said originally the scooter is not getting any power to the ignition switch. That is if the switch should have power to it? And the question I am asking.
I would have thought that there should be power to the ignition simply because looking at the PCB there is a relay where the +ve goes and gets no further. So my thinking was that the ignition powers the relay to let the voltage into the rest of the board?. Any thoughts? And I just knew it would be smd's lol

Os

Attachments

Last edited:

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
I would have thought that there should be power to the ignition simply because looking at the PCB there is a relay where the +ve goes and gets no further.
The ignition switch probably does little more than provide a signal (either +V or Gnd) to the microcontroller chip. I doubt it handles much power switching. That is more likely done by the 8 big transistors. Perhaps the relay handles ancillary things such as indicators/horn/....?

Edit:
BTW, from the shine on the 5 electrolytic caps in the middle pic it looks as though their tops may be bulging slightly? If so, they'll need replacing.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Check the relay coil connections. One should go to plus or minus. The other to a chip pin or driver. Or if lucky to switch.

Don't forget to check any on-board fuses. I see one. F1

What are relay specs? That may give insight into function.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Follow large traces from 24V in.

One should go straight thru to motor if it's not reversible.
The other to switching FETs. Or thru relay contacts first. It will be helpful to know if it's master control relay or aux. relay.

oshb5ems

Joined May 15, 2014
Hi
The Relay is connected to main 24v DC in line. I will check its spec tomorrow.
The motor is reversible BTW.
The only reason I was wondering about the ignition power switching is because the red wire turns to the brown on the other side of the ignition and then goes to every other ancillary device being it horn lights or indicators. Hence me thinking why it carried current. And It must be +ve as there is a black wire that is -ve through out the unit. and goes to all the switches and _ve points on the scooter?

Os

Ps Did wonder about the caps? Also on the pin 7 today I tested it and there was no continuity from the underside of the board to the topside of the board The pin must have broke between some way. But was well corroded as if by electrolysis?. So I unsoldered one of the others pins that is not used and replaced it now I get continuity?
So will need to build it back up again and retry. But still no reading as to + or - Ve Then again I can only muster 16v in the shack which is not enough to work it according to some specs I have read as it needs over 16v?