Mobile version of AAC is not good

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by steveb, Jul 10, 2011.

1. steveb

Thread Starter Senior Member

Jul 3, 2008
    I've been accessing AAC on my IPod for a long time and it always worked great. Recently, when I log in I've been redirected to a mobile version of the site and there seems to be no way for me to access the regular version.

I'd like to suggest that we go back to the old way. First of all this mobile version is quite bad compared to other fomum mobile sites because there are not enough options and most post are unreadable if there are formulas and graphics as part of the content. Second of all most mobile devices are very powerful and have no problem working well with the standard version of the site.

Perhaps there is a way to opt out of the mobile version that I just can't figure out. If so, please tell me how to do that and keep the mobile site available to the few people that might need it.

2. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    I'm wondering if that's a function of your phone service provider instead of AAC?

Some other people have complained about a similar thing on other sites.

3. steveb

Jul 3, 2008
    Thanks for the good thought.

In my case, this is not the problem because I have an Ipod touch, which only has a wireless link, not a cell phone type of connection. I can link to any wireless hotspot (house, coffee shop etc., or cell phone link-up to wireless ). I get the same results whether i link with standard wireless network internet service through a cable modem, or through a Verizon cell phone link, etc.

This problem only started a few weeks ago, and previously I would have access to the normal website. It worked great then, but now it's pretty much unusable to me.

I have a similar problem over at Physics Forums because they also force mobile devices over to their mobile website. However, at least their mobile website works very well and is usable.

I'd be curious to know if there was a recent change made to the system, and also if there are members who are satisfied with the mobile site.

4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I had the same problem with physorg.org on my desktop with a FIOS connection for a while. It eventually settled out, but it was fustrating while it lasted. Never had it with this site though, knock on wood.

5. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    I'm pretty sure the changes were at the server end a few weeks ago. There's another thread a bit further down feedback forum and another in general electronics chat. I prefer the non mobile version on my phone too.

<ed> Found the thread in general electronics chat.
    http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?p=372178
    </ed>

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  6. steveb

Jul 3, 2008

Thanks, somehow I didn't notice that thread. That's exactly what I'm looking for. Apparently there was a recent change. I posted a reply there and answered the poll.

I hope an option is created to go non-mobile. The layout of the standard AAC site is very nice and must be coded well because it works efficiently (or, used to work efficiently) on my older generation IPod touch.

7. jrap

Administrator

Jun 25, 2006
    Thanks for the feedback Steve,

The changes, as Mark mentioned did happen a few weeks ago. I *thought* I had enabled the setting to show the normal AAC skin for devices that are from Apple, Android and Windows CE, while other mobile devices would get the Mobile skin. I tried again to reconfigure, is it working for you? I only have a 'Nano' and can't check unfortunately.

Thanks!

Rob

8. steveb

Jul 3, 2008
    Yes, it's working perfectly now. Thank you very much!

9. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    Thanks, it's looking good (non-mobile site) on my Android again too.

10. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    Ah, this clears things up. I used to log onto the real site on my android, then a while back it was the mobile site and then last night when I went back to AAC on my android again, it was back to the real site again. I figured it was a test run or something.

11. zell12

Jul 15, 2010
    How about for other smartphone devices like Nokia which also works great with the classic version of the site? Isnt there already a 'mobile-to-web-switch' option?

Most of the features of the site are'nt available on the mobile version :(

Hope to get a response. ASAP