Mo' better

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by KL7AJ, Jan 27, 2010.

1. KL7AJ

Thread Starter Senior Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Yeah, I know I'm an old geezer. My floor-length white beard sometimes stands in the way of progress.
    But sometimes progress ain't progress.

Anyone here remember when the unit of conductivity, the Siemens, was called the "mho" (backwards ohm)?

Now, Mr. Siemens was a fine feller, I'm sure. I just got back from Taiwan, and had the delight of riding the high-speed rail all over the island....built by Siemens. (The railroad, that is...not the island. I think the island was there first.) Siemens is actually the largest hardware manufacturer in the world right now, and probably deservedly so.

But I'm not sure what Mr. Siemens did that was worthy of stealing that perfectly good term, the mho....after a hundred years of mho-ing

Why is the mho mo' better? It's simple. With mo' mho, you have mo' electricity! Easy to remember!

Anyone old enough to remember the corner drug store tube tester will remember the mho. The "goodness" of a tube (transconductance) was measured in micromhos.....said it right there on the meter. Never saw a tube tester with "microSiemens" on it.

So....I will continue to mho....cuz it's mo' better.

Now you know.

2. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    Just use mho, if you want. But siemens (symbol: S) is the SI derived unit. And the only correct unit to use in scientific work.
  3. SgtWookie

Jul 17, 2007
    There's "bettah", "mo' bettah", and "mos' bestus" :D

Yep, I remember mho's - my vintage '70 RCA Receiving Tube Manual is full of 'em. ;)
    I remember when I was a kid taking a shoebox full of tubes/valves I'd pulled from our old Dumont B&W TV and carefully wrapped in rags for padding, down to the Rexall drug store, and consulting a flip-chart to find the correct settings and sockets - turning/flipping what seemed a dizzying array of knobs and switches, and then carefully observing the mho meter ... I actually did fix the thing - for a while.

Those were the days when you'd turn the TV off, and the screen would shrink to a bright white dot that would linger for several minutes. As a kid, I'd watch that dot in fascination, wondering how it did that. Little did I know that I was getting a good bit of X-ray radiation... I don't know how we survived those days. ;)
  4. Ron H

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 14, 2005
    Apparently, what you don't know won't hurt you.:p
  5. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    I guess the TV-watching it self produced much more scar tissue in your soul:rolleyes:
  6. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    This from Wikipedia: