MIT cuts ties with Walter Lewin

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Really sad news for online learning, yes can still find the material elsewhere but MIT seems to be making him a 'non-person'.

http://tech.mit.edu/V134/N60/walterlewin.html
MIT is also removing Lewin’s lecture videos and other course materials from edX and MIT OpenCourseWare indefinitely, “in the interest of preventing any further inappropriate behavior.”
Not much info here about what and when but I think he's been retired for a while.

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
The last I heard, he left ages ago to go and do something with X-ray astronomy. Although I'm not entirely sure if he remained at MIT or not after this transfer. I've always used YouTube to access his videos, there's no doubt they'll still remain. There's nothing too much to worry about.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
I've always used YouTube to access his videos, there's no doubt they'll still remain.
I wouldn't bank on it, the BBC electricity series is no longer available on youtube.

Last edited:

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
I've just checked. They're still all on there. YouTube "Electricity and Magnetism MIT" and see for yourself. But if what you say is true, I'll be burning them all onto a disc ASAP.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
sexual haressment is the story. that it happened quite a while back but is just now deemed important enough to require some kind of punishment points to the mashing of some intolerant policy makers toes...and another scape goat is birthed.

poly ticks - many, blood sucking parasites.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
I've bough his book few months ago. Found it raising some interesting points related to things you could run across in daily life.

Regarding his videos and the somewhat visually espectular classes he used to actuate: while they seem good to make a point about specific subjects (or it is, visualize?), they are destined to people expected to be scientists, which at least need to be capable of consistent abstract thinking. In other words, do you actually need so much of a show for an intelligent student to understand concepts in physics?

I cannot avoid thinking like this knowing that watching videos, for me, is mostly a waste of time if what is shown/told there could be read in common printed text.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I cannot avoid thinking like this knowing that watching videos, for me, is mostly a waste of time if what is shown/told there could be read in common printed text.
The good professor understands that showmanship is a important factor in spreading information to a large audience over time. Seeing his videos as a one to one communication misses the point of the lecture.
The show is a memorization method designed to generate a image marker in the students head that ties into the printed text information. Nobody falls asleep in his classes, they are all watching the
professor intently because what he does is to keep the students brains active with his antics day after day.

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
Regarding his videos and the somewhat visually espectular classes he used to actuate: while they seem good to make a point about specific subjects (or it is, visualize?), they are destined to people expected to be scientists, which at least need to be capable of consistent abstract thinking. In other words, do you actually need so much of a show for an intelligent student to understand concepts in physics?

The thing is class attendance starts to become an issue. I know because I'm one of them. Why would I waste my time turning up when I could stay at home, and in the period of a couple of hours be three lectures ahead of the game?

The task associated with any teacher/lecturer/professor, or whatever; is that they're faced with the mammoth task of an audience who learn in different ways. Some learn best by listening, others won't comprehend anything until they've consulted a text book. That's just the way it goes, unfortunately.

Rocket.Man

Joined Jan 1, 2012
Walter Lewin has some of his own personal videos on U tube. I hate to see his MIT videos gone on U tube I watch them all the time they are very helpful. Starting tonight I need to copy selected videos to my computer. The above picture he must be about 40 years old, Walter Lewin looks like he is 80 years old now.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Walter Lewin has some of his own personal videos on U tube. I hate to see his MIT videos gone on U tube I watch them all the time they are very helpful. Starting tonight I need to copy selected videos to my computer. The above picture he must be about 40 years old, Walter Lewin looks like he is 80 years old now.
His video and lecture collection is and always will be open so don't worry about it going away.

ttps://www.insidehighered.com/news/2015/01/23/complainant-unprecedented-walter-lewin-sexual-harassment-case-comes-forward

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Every time I click on AAC, I consent to see what is written here. I used to do that at Electro-tech, but I found the local denizens to be offensive, so I quit doing that. It worked immediately and completely. The results of this experiment make it difficult for me to understand how a person can be harassed, against their will, over the Internet.

I also know how to block senders of email and I expect there is a blocking function on Facebook. I keep at least four email accounts at all times so I can give out expendable addresses and delete them if they become spam buckets.

I see from this Lewin story that some people don't do what I do. They not only keep clicking on the same website, they take nude photos of themselves and send them in. Then they complain that somebody on the Internet made them do it. Color me baffled.

Last edited:

Denesius

Joined Feb 5, 2014
... it make it difficult for me to understand how a person can be harassed, against their will, over the Internet...
Couldn't agree more. Every social media forum I'm aware of has a blocking function. The only exception would be in a situation where you needed to continue contact with the individual (ie- online course lecture).

Gee, didn't anyone notice he was showing clear signs of Parkinson's disease in the 1999 videos? The drugs to alleviate it are well known for causing hypersexuality to such an extent it becomes a medical problem for wives. doh. Besides shaking all the time he says in almost every 1999 and his 2011 final lecture "I have to tell you something. I couldn't sleep at all last night...." ding ding ding. That's Parkinson's.

Lool

Joined May 8, 2013
Hey, he's Dutch. His off color humor involving sexuality would be enough to make him a villain in this crazy hypocritical society we have going now.

Don't know what happened. Maybe it was a minor thing. Maybe is was a serious case of crossing the line.

Don't know, but I'm glad I downloaded all his videos previously.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

Yeah i watched some of his videos too a while back. I like the way he inspires interest in his students by doing spectacular demonstrations that illustrate key points in the theories being taught.