Mistakes In my Lab Report Pls explain

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by hitmen, Apr 10, 2009.

1. hitmen

Thread Starter Active Member

Sep 21, 2008
    Q) What happens when a 74S151 multiplier E* is not asserted
    My answer: Multiplexer gets disabled and there is no output at all

Q) What happens when input E* was lifted momentarily?
    My ans: The multiplexer produced an infinitely high output at t=0. This is because the multiplexer is disabled and outputs a logic high.

My answers in bold are marked wrong. Can some kind soul please explain? Thanks.:confused::(

2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

Take a look at the function table:

[​IMG]

Greetings,
    Bertus

3. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    There is an output with the enable in either state. Check the truth table. It is not a 3-state IC with a high impedance state.

There is no such thing as an "infinitely high output". "Lifting" the enable sounds as if it is being de-asserted. When it is high, Z and Z* follow the truth table.

4. PRS

Aug 24, 2008
    The Y output (which is active high) will go low and the W output (active low) will go high.

In the second case, if what is meant by the input E* being "lifted", it meant momentarily disabled the same thing occurs as above. But if that moment is very brief the propogation delay time (built into the device with buffers) will prevent any transient. I may be wrong on this latter point.

Good luck!

5. hitmen

Sep 21, 2008
    Ok. when the output is lifted, it involved the candidate pulling out the wire from the multiplexer for a brief moment. that is what I meant.

Dear me I recorded my observations but this is what I get:rolleyes:

6. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Be aware that opening up a control input usually results in the input level oscillating right at the logic level trip points. The result is unpredictable, except that the logic won't work correctly.

7. PRS

Aug 24, 2008
    Hitmen, did the question have a circuit using a 74151? And if it did was there a pull-up or pull-down resistor connected to E*. In the latter case if you pull out the wire the E* line goes to whatever voltage it is pulled up or down to. And in that case you look at the truth table as posted by Bertus.

8. hitmen

Sep 21, 2008
    Ok thanks.