Mission from lord to fix Ford car computer ecm

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by trader007, Aug 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trader007

Thread Starter Active Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Problem?

Truck hesitates under load. Miss fires under load/low rpm. sometimes, especially when cold i have to hold the pedal to the floor while it bucks and misses just to get it up to 50mph. after the engine fully warms up it usually stops missing and i can literally power brake the back tires until they smoke. some days though, it just never comes around and it runs like crap.

Solutions?

"Everything". I kid you not, I am a car guy, have a good scan tool, pressure guages, voltmeters... and have been chasing this slowly growing problem for 2 years now. About 4 months ago I just started throwing parts at it.

New parts- (not all related to problem, I know, but listing anyway)

coil pack/plugs/wires
    fuel filter
    fuel pump
    o2 sensros (all three, although they are 80k old now)
    transmission (fully rebuilt)
    Lower intake/upper intake gaskets
    air temp sensor
    mass air flow sensor
    idle control motor
    pcv valve
    crank sensor
    camshaft position sensor
    water temp sensor
    injector cleaner (which never made a damn bit of difference)
    64lbs of fuel pressure (perfect)
    no vacuum leaks
    only codes that come up are "system too lean" which is on about every millennium era ford.

Ok, so without getting into a whole lot of background, let me lay out some history that I am 99% certain on.

The problem is in the ECU.

I have taken a couple pictures. You can see where I added new caps. They are doing some sort of power filtering, and when I replaced them it made a HUGE difference. in fact, for almost 2 weeks the truck ran like a wet dream. thought i fixed it, but it slowly went back to missing and bucking under load.

Now, the caps are still fine. I even replaced them again and no change.

Does anyone have any sort of knowledge as to what normally goes wrong with these, besides the caps? Its a bitch to work on, the whole thing is covered in dried silicone. I do know this ecm directly controls the voltage that drives the fuel injectors and the ignition coil.. and from the way it runs it does seem like a spark issue (i will get immediate full power and then back to missing all the time... its very instant and very random)

My soldering is a lot better than it looks too. I am tired and a little frustrated, if you can imagine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I will tell you, my biggest problem here is identifying the components. I can test most stuff, but without knowing what it is to begin with I don't know what to test. If I had a datasheet for this computer it would be done by now :p

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  2. ronv

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 12, 2008
    The devil may not let you post this:

6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered "off-topic" at all times and will result in Your thread being closed without question:

• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
    • Automotive modifications
    • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
    • LEDs to mains
    • Phone jammers
    • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
    • Transformer-less power supplies

3. trader007

Thread Starter Active Member

Feb 27, 2010
    oh crap, i totally forgot about that.

sorry

find me in therangerstation if anyone wants to help :/

and dont worry I won't be exploding my engine and catching children on fire, i do have sort of an idea what im doing here ;)

4. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    Good luck. It may not be against the rules to let us know how it turned out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.