Missing Graphic in Blog

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by JoeJester, Aug 16, 2013.

1. JoeJester

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    WBahn wrote a blog at http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/blog.php?b=576

There is a graphic at the top, but all I see is the black boxed x when using IE. When using Firefox, I see nothing.

Can someone else check out the blog to let me know there's not a problem there?

2. tubeguy

Nov 3, 2012
    I get nothing with Firefox also. With IE I get a small icon. Tried to open in another tab and got "Invalid Attachment"..."

3. JoeJester

Apr 26, 2005
    Tubeguy,

Thanks for the confirmation. I also got the "invalid attachment" error box when trying to open the link from the graphic properties. That occurs no matter which browser I've used.

4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I can see it just fine. It could be a permissions thing, where WBahn has to open it to the public. I don't really know though.

5. JoeJester

Apr 26, 2005
    Good answer Bill. I didn't know you could have the blog open and the graphic not open to the public. I'm assuming that is what you mean ... but I'm ignorant on the blog feature.

6. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    That would explain why I can see it just fine.

Okay... so how do I make the graphic open to the public?

7. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    So I checked the FAQ and looked through the Blog control panel and didn't see anything. But when I edited the blog entry and tried to manage the attachments, it didn't show that there WERE any attachments. Even though I can see the picture just fine!

So I uploaded the file again and posted a new link to it. Please post if you couldn't see it before but can now.

I think this is what happened. I originally had the blog entry as a post in a thread on the forum. I copied the entire thing and pasted it into the blog entry. Because the picture showed up just fine, I didn't even suspect there might be a problem. But the attachment was an attachment to that thread post, not to the blog entry. I didn't delete the post, just put a link to the blog entry. So I suspect the attachment is still there associated with that post.

Now, I don't know why that would make it so that I and the moderators can see it fine but others can't. Maybe its a configuration setting or maybe it's a vB bug.

But hopefully the problem is solved and I can be aware of it for the future.

It's a shame, really, because (shockingly) that entry has had just shy of 1000 views already, and if virtually no one could see the schematic, I doubt many of them felt any desire to slog through the post.

8. JoeJester

Apr 26, 2005
    WBahn,

That solved the problem in both browsers. You posted some good information about the solution as well.

When I saw the word "cache" in the image properties, I thought that was weird, as that is normally associated with the local machine. I wasn't 100 percent sure, as I'm not familiar with the blogging feature here.

Nice work on the topic.

9. LDC3

Apr 27, 2013
    There is a typo here:

10. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Fixed. Thanks for the proofread!