Misinformation on Tesla.

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Unregistered, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Unregistered

Thread Starter Guest

2. mozikluv

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 22, 2004
    is that true? where did get such info?

moz

3. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Can you provide a citation for this?

Dave

4. HarveyH42

Jul 22, 2007
    Shortly after arriving in America, Tesla worked for Edison. Edison screwed Tesla on a repair job, claim he was only joking about the huge bonus. Tesla just walked away.

Westinghouse paid Tesla well, and was very helpful through the years. When Westinghouse bought Tesla's patents for AC, there were royalties, but they were extremely large (who would have guessed AC power would be so popular), and basically keeping Westinghouse from expanding. Tesla agreed to drop the royalties, as he just wanted to bring power to the people, cheaply.

If he had just cut the amount down to a reasonable amount, he could have completed the wireless power project, and instead of cheap electricity, we could tap into it for free. Kind of think this is where a lot of people get lost in the 'Free-Energy' world... I don't think Tesla meant that the energy would be free to produce, but could be tapped freely, anywhere, by anyone.

5. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    I offer the above snippet from the book that tends to bolster the comments by "unregistered" and HarveyH42.

hgmjr

6. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Thanks to both Harvey and hgmjr for providing some insight into this.

I wonder if Dennis can shed some light on where the information for the following statement in the link stated in the OP comes from:

If need be, it may be worth noting that there are several conflicting sides to this discussion; else it may be something that is deemed not necessary in a technical-focused publication such as the e-book.

Dave

7. HarveyH42

Jul 22, 2007
    I remember reading somewhere about the billions, but it was just a figure given, if Tesla hadn't given up the royalties. It was meant to show that Tesla could have been wealthy for many generations, not that there was any actual debt owed to him. Probably quoted out of context.

I use to read anything I could find about Tesla. He did some amazing things, considering the tools, equipment, and materials availiable at the time. He pretty much had to do much of the work himself. Can you imagine having to wind your own transformers, motors or alternators? Build your own test equipment because it doesn't exist?

8. recca02

Apr 2, 2007
    isnt electricity lot cheaper than that?

9. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    It is decidely cheaper than that.

Provided the story is true, it is difficult to imagine what prompted such a generous offer based on the cost of electrical energy today. Westinghouse may have simply been trying to dominate the industry at the time and may have imagined this as a way of controlling any competition from Tesla.

hgmjr

10. Dcrunkilton

E-book Co-ordinator

Jul 31, 2004
    Quote:
    Nikola Tesla conceived the basic principals of the polyphase induction motor in 1883, and had a half horsepower (400 watt) model by 1888. Though he received a million dollars from George Westinghouse for the rights to manufacture this invention, he died penniless.

Looks like I got it from here:
    http://www.ece.umd.edu/~taylor/tesla.htm

If we can find a second reference verifying the Tesla did not recieve anywhere near one million dollars, I would be inclined to remove the verbage about him receiving one million dollars.

11. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Can I add the following to this discussion, from this website: http://www.bgdelektro.co.yu/english/nikola tesla eng.htm

Dave

12. Dcrunkilton

E-book Co-ordinator

Jul 31, 2004
    OK , It looks like this is settled. I have changed (at ibiblio) the portion of the text refering to the million dollars to $65,000. Thanks all for your assistance.

13. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    I agree the changes are a more accurate assessment. Thanks for making the changes at ibiblio.org, AAC should be updated shortly.

Dave