mircocontroller or fpga

rayclout

Joined Mar 17, 2011
Hello
I would like some advice please.

I'm currently working on a robotic project that includes a number of modules (5 x Roboteq motor controls) that require embedded control (i.e. the robot is sans pc). The majority of my programming skills are around LabVIEW.

I would like to use either a micro-controller board or an FPGA board.

I have been unable to find either that has multiple hardware rs232 ports for this type of applications. Or can this be done in software. I've done quite a lot of searching, but the information on the web is both mind-boggling and confusing.

I would very much appreciate any advice (constructive) that is on offer.

Thanks and best regards.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Hello
I would like some advice please.

I'm currently working on a robotic project that includes a number of modules (5 x Roboteq motor controls) that require embedded control (i.e. the robot is sans pc). The majority of my programming skills are around LabVIEW.

I would like to use either a micro-controller board or an FPGA board.

I have been unable to find either that has multiple hardware rs232 ports for this type of applications. Or can this be done in software. I've done quite a lot of searching, but the information on the web is both mind-boggling and confusing.

I would very much appreciate any advice (constructive) that is on offer.

Thanks and best regards.
Why are you limiting yourself to RS232?
from the roboteq manual (you didn't specify a model, but this is for HDC2450, VDC2450, MDC2250, SDC2130/2160, HBL1650, VBL1650, HBL2350, VBL2350, MBL1350, & VDC1850) :
The controller will accept commands from one of the following sources
• Serial data (RS232, USB, MicroBasic script)
• Pulse (R/C radio, PWM, Frequency)
• Analog signal (0 to 5V)
5 PWM signals could easily be generated from a microcontroller. simple, easy. no need to complicate a pulse train with communications protocols IMO.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
How about a micro and some AND gates? Connect the serial to one input of each AND gate and connect output pins of the micro to the other inputs to select which motor controller to communicate with. Something similar could be done if you require data back from the motor controller.

rayclout

Joined Mar 17, 2011
Both interesting ideas....gives me some more though.

I've even considered a serial mux.....more hardware of course, but I was hoping to take the software route

Thanks for your interest guys.

Ray

I've even considered a serial mux.....more hardware of course, but I was hoping to take the software route

Thanks for your interest guys.

Ray
Its fairly easy to implement an RS232 port in software.
So long as interupts arent screwing up teh timing.
You could of course implement numerous rs232 ports using interupts.